Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conscience

Conscience

Conscience!

Went out last night for the first time since the fallow went out. Arrive at the ground and set about stalking the wind breaks hoping for a Muntie or Roe buck. I had been out for an hour or so and decided to head back up the far side the farm to home, on entering a potato field I spotted a freshly cleaned four point buck on the far hedge, wind was right and set about stalking him, without too much trouble got to within 60yrds of him, set the stick up and mounted rifle. He was facing way from me, so stood, watched and waited, after a good few minutes he caught some sent and turned sideways to try the wind again, at which point I took my thumb of the safety and just looked at him through the scope. I have not seen many Roe on this bit of ground and for the first time thought why do I need to shoot this one, so I didnít, I just watched him for a few more minutes before he wondered into the edge of the wood.

I know this will sound strange writing about the one I did not shoot on a stalking forum, but does anyone else ever do this?

done it a couple of times, more so with hinds as I'm a pro so do most of my stag stalking with clients, I have found myself having a good crisp day on the hill in december spending all day getting into a buch of hinds with 2 or 3 to shoot and deciding for no real reason to sit and watch, then having to go out later in the season in horredous weather to reach my cull target.

I think alot of it has to do with the sense of peace I feel when I'm on the hill and a part of that it stalking although shooting something on some occations it not nessicary, I consider myself lucky to be doing a jod that I love.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by jon15 View Post
    I know this will sound strange writing about the one I did not shoot on a stalking forum, but does anyone else ever do this?
    It doesn't sound strange to me at all. It isn't mandatory for something to die and technically you did still stalk him after all!

Sometimes there is as much satisfaction in sparing and observing and now you are due some good karma!

All the best,

Alex

Most times I am out I would say, I have quite alot of good fallow ground in the New Forest on which we are leaving the Roe Bucks Alone, it does make you twitch a little when you see a brace of different Golds stroll past every other outing, but their time will come! hey ho!

I do enjoy watching them almost as much as I enjoy hunting them! I am now making a full time living from them on the cull stalking front, so whatever we do now needs to be sustainable for future years, so its always good to manage them properly & lets face it a handfull of Roe do not do that much damage in direct comparison to large groups of herding species.

Regards Lee

Quote Originally Posted by andymarsh View Post
    done it a couple of times, more so with hinds as I'm a pro so do most of my stag stalking with clients, I have found myself having a good crisp day on the hill in december spending all day getting into a buch of hinds with 2 or 3 to shoot and deciding for no real reason to sit and watch, then having to go out later in the season in horredous weather to reach my cull target.

I think alot of it has to do with the sense of peace I feel when I'm on the hill and a part of that it stalking although shooting something on some occations it not nessicary, I consider myself lucky to be doing a jod that I love.

Andy
    For me Andy you have smashed the nail on the head when i think about what I get of stalking - the sense of peace, that coupled with the the sense of achievement when I apply my skill and knowledge. I've quite often sat and watched deer, and most wildlife whilst out with the intention of shooting for whatever purpose. Whilst I consider myself a keen stalker, and love to be out with the dogs etc, I do love wildlife and would hope to never see in my lifetime any of our native species disappear.

T

That's not a conscience, that's stalking!

jon15,
    I have shot a few deer over the years but some of my best days have been days where i have seen a deer or parcel and stalked right in lifted the rifle and went bang, but without pulling the trigger. The sense of peace and tranquility you get from then watching that animal carry on its way while you sit in the presence of nature is what stalking is all about.

I also have times when if its brown its down but i dont call that stalking thats work.

Enjoy Dalkur

I go out lots of times and dont shoot i even go stalking with out a rifle some times. Dont pull the trigger if it dont feel right. What i would say is why not have a camera in your pocket and if it dont feel right to shoot with the rifle it might be a golden opertunity to take a few pictures that more can share.

As I've said before,
    'when I started stalking I looked for an excuse to shoot every deer seen, now I look for an excuse to leave them be'.
    It just means you have passed the bloodlust stage and are becoming a stalker rather than a shooter. The fates may reward you with a big buck going back in a few years that bears an uncanny resemblence to the one you just let go.