RWS brass

KevinF

Attended a range shoot a while back and spotted a chap not bothering to catch up his factory RWS .243 cases. Ended up with them after a polite approach. De-capped, FL resized, trimmed to length and re-loaded, they are hair-line fracturing longitudinally around the neck on a (starter) moderate load. Federal cases, re-loaded in the same run with the same recipe, are fine.

A bad batch of brass? Would have expected better of German manufacture.

Have others seen this?

Attended a range shoot a while back and spotted a chap not bothering to catch up his factory RWS .243 cases. Ended up with them after a polite approach. De-capped, FL resized, trimmed to length and re-loaded, they are hair-line fracturing longitudinally around the neck on a (starter) moderate load. Federal cases, re-loaded in the same run with the same recipe, are fine.

A bad batch of brass? Would have expected better of German manufacture.

Have others seen this?
I agree, strange. I've herad it's good. If you feel like offloading it, I'm available ;)

I've come across it with many different brands...even lapua!... and in different calibres.

I've never used RWS brass due to the fact i only had it in 7x57 and it wouldn't fit in my shell holder!....the same size as the 270 one!

It could well be the batch..... sods law aint it!

steve

its definitely harder than the norma brass I have in 270.
I stopped using once fired RWS as their factory perforated crimp was a PITA to work with.

Anneal the RWS case necks & they should be fine. The RWS must be fairly hard worked in manufacture and not annealed afterwards. Other makers must anneal later in the production process to leave them soft enough to take a few reloads before getting so stressed that they split.

Could be just particular batches perhaps? I have a couple of hundred 8x57jrs cases (RWS) that I have reloaded 6 or 7 times, always full length, and they are just starting to show signs that I should be binning them. Some of these cases have been worked a fair bit by me because I have even belled them slightly to take cast bullets.

Back