Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another 4 today.......

Another 4 today.......

Out cutting grass & getting ready for silage , cutting grass out on the forrager claimed another 4 deer to day, size of poodles..Thats about 9 this week so far.

What you guys using to get these moved on, how can we wake them up to run !!

For those in the 'dont' know , see pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails forager-machine.jpg  
    Last edited by MrYou; 08-06-2011 at 13:26.

I would have thought the noise of that would be enough to get them up.... obviously not
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

The move from hay to silage has been hard on all sorts of animals. The hares in this area (which were plentiful 25-30 years ago) now really struggle to reproduce, simply because so many young are mowed at silage time. In other areas here where no silage is made, there is a really good hare population.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

How about going a heck of alot slower and the operator looking infront of him?

If time permits, could you not walk the ground first, or at least the headland which I assume is where most of the deer are laid up. How about using a dog to help as long as its steady to deer, that way you will cover plenty of ground, good luck.

presumably they were hit with the mower not the machine in the picture?
    that grass is mown and in swathe and being picked up.

If it was the mower cutting standing grass then it doesnt matter how slow you go, unless someone has walked the area or you put a dog through then fawns always get hit with mowers.

Age old problem.

some mowers come with booms with heavy chains dangling down in front that effectively comb the grass and move on some fawns.

problem is they are genetically programmed to NOT move!
    damn shame a major impact on population numbers

There is no simple answer. It's the mower that does the damage and the first you see of them is just when the blades are about to do their worst. All you can do is rely on is fast reflexes and good brakes.

There's nothing worst then when you hear that thump when another goes through the conditioner. I used to put the dogs through the mowing grass on occasion for 2 or 3 weeks before cutting but it made no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    How about going a heck of alot slower and the operator looking infront of him?
    You must be expecting a torrent of responses to your comment! I hope you say it tongue in cheek.

DC
    Last edited by DC .270; 08-06-2011 at 14:40.

Quote Originally Posted by DC .270 View Post
    You must be expecting a torrent of responses to your comment! I hope you say it tongue in cheek.

DC
    Not really tongue in cheek at all, I don't work in agriculture but all I have seen in the last 30 years in machines getting bigger, faster and crops getting more and more wildlife unfriendly, worst of all is rye grass for silage, which has no benefit to wildlife as far as can see whatsoever. Are farmers any richer or happier, all I see is small, medium and even large farms struggling and been taken over by big agri businesses whose only regard is the bottom line and what they can get out of it for the shareholders.

Well on a couple of my fav farms they fone me and i go for a walk with the dog just before they cut dont know if it helps but makes me and the farmer feel beter .