Twist rate?

W16OEN

What is the optimum twist rate to stabilise 60gr - 80gr bullets from a 20'' barrel, calibre 243?
Thanks

Twist

Second what Joe stated. This will stabilize bullets well up to 95grain. Or at least it did in the last 243 i had.

Need to check what it is in my current Xbolt. Glad you brought this up

Cheers

most 243 rifles are 1 in 10 twist. i think remington are are just over 1 in 8 twist so will shoot the 100 grain bullets. some 1 in 10 twist rifles shoot the 100's though i guess it depends on how true the twist is

I'd be inclined to disagree. 1:11 for bullets in the 60-70g category and 1:10 for the 80-90g category. 1:9 or 1:8 for 100-108g's.

Remingtons are 1 in 9.125 twist. I have never seen a 1 in 11 myself. And 1. in 10 is still the most popular in off the shelf rifles.

Remingtons are 1 in 9.125 twist. I have never seen a 1 in 11 myself. And 1. in 10 is still the most popular in off the shelf rifles.

thats the one. a very good twist i think to have in 243 if you want to make sure it will shoot 100 grain bullets

Remington are the ones to ask as they are the ones that got it famously wrong with the .244 rem (later 6mm rem) and gave it a bad reputation before they sorted it out, in the mean time the 243 win had taken hold even though the 6mm rem is argubly a better round

Remington are the ones to ask as they are the ones that got it famously wrong with the .244 rem (later 6mm rem) and gave it a bad reputation before they sorted it out, in the mean time the 243 win had taken hold even though the 6mm rem is argubly a better round

your right the 6mm rem looks a great calibre and in the usa they still really like it. even better in ai form.

the downside to it is the lack of good brass. where 243 there is a big choice of brass

Back