re changes in legislation

Big Kev

After dropping off a carcase at my local game dealer I was handed a piece of paper which didn't really explain very much and was told as from 13th june 2011 any single carcase that was taken in had to be accompanied by my proof of trained hunter status and tagged, more than one carcase and I had to take yet another coarse on eliminating cross contamination, thought my levels 1&2 covered that. Can anyone shed any light on this subject ie who supplies and pays for tags and is it correct about taking another coarse.

I get tags from game dealer and i have not been asked anything on cross contamination and if i was i would be most up set when you see some of the game dealers vans lol. But the one i am useing just now is the muts nuts.;)

I posted about this back in April but no-one was interested! Not sure that there is any mention of additional courses required though? JC

Slight changes to Wild and Farmed Game Meat Regs

Letter recieved this morning from the FSA:

To Interested Parties

20 April 2011

Dear Sir/Madam

AMENDMENTS TO REGULATIONS (EC) 853/2004 & 854/2004 FOR FARMED AND WILD GAME MEAT

I am writing to inform you of recent amendments to Regulations (EC) 853/2004 and 854/2004 that are contained in Commission Regulations 150/2011 and 151/2011 respectively.

These will apply from 13 June 2011 and Commission Regulation 150/2011 which amends Regulation 853/2004 can be obtained from the following link:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:046:0014:0016:EN:pDF

and Commission Regulation 151/2011 which amends Regulation 854/2004 from the following link:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:046:0017:0020:EN:pDF

These amendments allow food business operators (FBOs) to carry out the certification of the correct slaughter and bleeding of farmed game and to confirm the date and time of slaughter. The new measures are linked to the new EU protection of animals at slaughter Regulation (1099/2009) that will apply from 01 January 2013. Among other things, this will require all those carrying out slaughter of animals for human consumption, to be competent in carrying out these tasks.

The new arrangements for certification combine the certification of the results of the ante mortem inspection with certification that the animals were slaughtered and bled correctly together and confirmation of the date and time of slaughter. The new form to be used for this purpose is attached and must accompany the bodies of slaughtered animals that are sent to a slaughterhouse for dressing. The FBO must certify the date and time of slaughter and that the animals were slaughtered and bled correctly.

The new arrangements will also require periodic checks on the competence of those who perform the slaughter and bleeding of the animals. Defra is currently working with Improve, the Sector Skills Council, to develop competences for all slaughter operations that will lead to an appropriate qualification as part of the arrangements required by Regulation 1099/2009 from 1 January 2013.

In the meantime, this Agency will be asking Approved Veterinarians (AVs) or Official Veterinarians (OVs) to undertake an assessment before 1 January 2013 of the competence of all those who perform these tasks on farmed game. Whenever possible, this will be carried out by AVs or OVs when they visit to carry out an ante mortem inspection of the animals prior to slaughter.

The amendments to Regulation 853/2004 also make some changes to the requirements for wild game. They allow the whole heads of wild game animals susceptible to Trichinella infestation, such as wild boar, to be sent to an establishment for producing a hunting trophy, pending the result of the required test for Trichinella, provided that there is full traceability. They also allow a single declaration by a trained person to cover more than one animal body, provided that each animal is appropriately identified and the declaration bears an indication of the identification number of each animal body covered by it, together with the corresponding date, time and place of killing. All animal bodies covered by a single declaration may only be sent to a single game handling establishment. The declaration indicates that no evidence has been found following examination after killing that the meat presents a health risk and that the animal displayed no abnormal behaviour before it was shot.

Please contact me if you need any clarification or further information on these changes.

I have written in similar terms to food business operators at approved on farm slaughter facilities and to Approved Veterinarians.

Yours sincerely

Abi Abdul
Hygiene & Microbiology Division

Oh yes one must make sure the carcase is bled properly in the Mulsim fashion so as not to upset dear Abdul.

It's time to tell these jokers to stuff it or go home to their god forsaken 3rd world cess pit.

After dropping off a carcase at my local game dealer I was handed a piece of paper which didn't really explain very much and was told as from 13th june 2011 any single carcase that was taken in had to be accompanied by my proof of trained hunter status and tagged, more than one carcase and I had to take yet another coarse on eliminating cross contamination, thought my levels 1&2 covered that. Can anyone shed any light on this subject ie who supplies and pays for tags and is it correct about taking another coarse.

Have had to tag carcases for several years now,tags provided by game dealer, have not heard of an additional course
Though some estates are going for quality assured registration gets you a better price per kilo from the dealers but more regulations on larders and on the handlers, this scheme is really only suitable for fairly large operators, the standard required would makes it impractical for individuals.

more than one carcase and I had to take yet another coarse on eliminating cross contamination, thought my levels 1&2 covered that.

Yes, your Trained Hunter status should cover you for more than one carcase at a time - it's even mentioned in the April update:

"They also allow a single declaration by a trained person to cover more than one animal body, provided that each animal is appropriately identified and the declaration bears an indication of the identification number of each animal body covered by it, together with the corresponding date, time and place of killing. All animal bodies covered by a single declaration may only be sent to a single game handling establishment. "

Sounds as if your GD has got it wrong somewhere along the line.

Back