Open fac

DJC

Hi Does anbody know if you can get your FAC changed to open before 5 years if so how

Yes you can, the 5 years thing isn't law but you'll need to be able to justify it with a good reason and reassure them of your competence/experience.

Alex

You should get an open FAC when your circumstances and experience are suitable to have it. It is up to the individual to show this so get in your letters supporting your experience with Level 1 done and 2 started for example and permissions all in place and it should just be a case of asking for it.

In my case I needed to accompany a friend on an unchecked patch of land (only 20 acres or so but with a massive backstop/bank). The police didn't want to even come out to check it, so I said to them if they open my certificate I'll take the responsibility of passing it and accompanying him. I sent in a summary of experience, level 1 and level 2 was 2/3 done at the time and EMcC on here who I stalk with often very kindly sent them in a letter saying that I was safe/not a nutter etc. and they opened my certificate as requested. That was after 3 1/2 yrs.

Alex

My FEO said to me that when a FAC expired after three years the renewed FAC was then open.
So ask at three years or if you have good reason.
He also said he was familiar with the old chestnut of FAC holders claiming high ammo usage and lots of land checks as a way to achieve the same thing.
For my 22LR it was opened at about 2.1/2 years and the CF at about 2 years.

I did :)

Lots of land checks, and the ability to demonstrate the need for it (ie turning down "work" due to conditions) worked for me

I just did, showed I had done my level one etc..opened after 2 years. But fathom this one out, it was opened up for my 6.5x55 so I can mentor a mate but my .223 still has a restriction on it saying only land deemed suitable by chief constable....kinda crazy as I would rather use my .223 for foxing over my 6.5

want mine open too, but considering my force said a bit of land i had was suitable for a .222 but not .243 dont think i got much hope at the mo!
Regards, Jez.

I am about to apply for an open ticket.I work for Rentokil Pest control how should I word my application,any advice most grateful.
Should I mention the very small pieces of land I personally have written permission on,or state that my job shows a need for open ticket,Tony.

Tony, I know people who have asked for an open condition due to work (pest controllers and deer managers) and they are granted it, but ONLY for shooting in relation to their work. Yes, I know, surely if you are safe to judge on land that you are working on then you are safe on any land, but the firearms departments can't seem to keep their sticky beaks out of other peoples business, and common sense doesn't come into it!

i live in yorkshire and mines not open.stav

North Yorkshire, if we are being petty.

Far too big a county to be having fields checked. Closed tickets are a complete farce, it's the bloke holding the gun who has to make the snap descision when they pull the trigger.

Back