Continental Calibre Conundrum

scrumbag

Dear all,

Looking for a little help here on some calibre conundrums.

Basically I'm moving to Switzerland with work, Geneva to be precise.

I've looked at the permitting systemt and it is fairly simple for foreigners to own firearms.

Now, I don't own a rifle here (ironically I finally got round to doing some stalking and taking the steps to apply for an FAC this summer after wanting to do it for years and now after joining a HO Approved club I get this job in Geneva! Funny how life works).

I was planning on getting a .30-06 assuming I was staying in this country but the move to Geneva has prompted a rethink due to the ease of getting to France.

I chose .30-06 because of the usual reasons of fairly common ammunition supplies in lots of bullet weights & types and is made by lots of manufacturers and can be used successfully to take a lot of the quarry I envisage hunting.

However, if I am in Switzerland and wish to shoot in France (seems to be what a lot of shooters do from that part of the world), a .30-06 is no good as it falls foul of the 'No military calibres' rule in France.

So, I was wondering, is there a round with rough equivalent to what a .30-06 can do as per the above? I was wondering about a 7x57 but how well does this do if you want to shoot something heavier at say piggies? Any advice or comments on the Continental / Metric calibres greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance folks.

Scrummy

Scrummy,

Does 7x57 Mauser rimless for bolt guns not fall foul of the 'miltary calibre' prohibition as well?

Might be an idea to wait until you get out there and see what the locals are using as that will no doubt influence what firearms and ammunition are available 'off the shelf'.

EDIT: Same applies to the Swede doesn't it?

Actually you're right 7x57 was used by a few people wasn't it, I'd forgotten that.

Last edited:
The "rough" equivalent you're looking for would probably be 7x64 Brenneke.

The 7x57 Mauser (or .275 Rigby) is also a great round and less hassle to find ammo for here in the UK. Arguably on the lighter side for wild boar it is nonetheless both adequate and popular for that purpose too, as is the 7mm -08 Remington.

I believe all of these cartridges are usable in La Belle France Ok.

ps. But I'd probably be wrong about the 7x57... and Orion's probably right :doh:

Last edited:
Go for a 7X64 , that should solve your problem and kill most things you will encounter.
RWS make a good range of eminently suitable fodder designed for all species including pigs.

HWH.

Doh!

It appears it is me that has no brain, oops.

Strange law though
I thought the same but recently got offered this explanation which makes sense:-
France was left with so many military weapons stashed in barns etc after two world wars, that the government felt the best thing to do was ban all military calibres. Hence forth only dedicated sporting weapons "should" turn up on a days shooting there. The reality might be different of course.;)
Mark

I tried the RWS stuff but boy did it kick. I find the Sako offerings less punishing, but I might just be getting soft.
Mark
Go for a 7X64 , that should solve your problem and kill most things you will encounter.
RWS make a good range of eminently suitable fodder designed for all species including pigs.

HWH.

Anybody here from France who could throw a little light on the real situation. I suppose a Kalashnikov is out of the question then? :D

David.

Don't discount some of the rimmed versions of military calibres which might be more readily available out there. I've lusted after a single shot break action in something like 6.5x57R for a while. Maybe a double rifle in an R calibre might suit? ;)

This "materiel de guerre" thing keeps cropping up.

The short answer always is NO, you can't use military cartridges. Actually, there do seem to be some ways and means but since it's a question of "not getting caught out" you'd be best to assume NO is the correct answer.

Funnily enough, I've just been posting on Sanglier.net and the question has won me an invite to shoot and the offer of a loan of a suitable gun (I'm hampered by owning a .30-06)

J'aime beaucoup les Francais! :thumb:

Last edited:
Cheeky question, if you get a rifle with 275 Rigby stamped on the barrel is it far to gentlemanly to be considered "materiel de guerre" ?

David.

If it's capable of chambering a military calibre then it is regarded as a military calibre regardless of the markings.
Don't try fooling the immigration or police at the border either because many of them actually shoot and know what they are talking about.

One cartridge not mentioned so far that appears to be very popular in France is .300win mag.

Last edited:
Back