Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats happening in the countryside!?

Whats happening in the countryside!?

I've read quite a few posts recently about - How do I get stalking? Why won't people let me stalk?

Is there anyone else here who worked for it? By this I mean to an interest in all things countryside. I can't understand why people expect landowners to say "yes off you go take your high powered rifle off onto my land and livelihood and blaze away".

I was a keen shooter but only air rifles and full bore rifles at the range. At 18 I decided to change careers and get into the countryside....I helped a keeper out at all opportunities(which happened to be full time) after 6 months I asked if I could shoot a couple of pigeons and rabbits off the bottom of the field with the air rifle, then I was allowed to walk around the area that I knew well, for rabbits and squirrels when I said I have been seeing foxes I was told to get my SGC and I was allowed on the small bit to shoot squirrels and foxes with the shotgun....so on and so on...untill now I am a paid keeper with all the shooting I can dream of.

Infact my friends have got some of the lesser bits that I've been begged to do for ferreting etc.

I do not say this to show off but to illustrate that trust is what you need to earn.

I believe learning about the countryside is the first step to shooting, Respect for quarry and the essence of stalking. The majority of my daytime foxes have been shot because the wildlife told me to get my gun as charlie was about, I learnt this from being out with a good keeper.

We have around 3-4 lads a year come to "help" We ake bets to how long they will last before saying...."so how often do you go shooting?" "do you shoot alot" or the best/worst "can we go shooting now" when you explain to them that keepering is more than shooting and we only tend to in our "spare" time they lose interest and dissappear

Out of all the people who have come to "help" one has stood the test, he's a rotten shot but I keep taking him out lamping and shooting because he helps. He picks up the rabbits he helps put up the rearing field he is about to come out in the rain and get in a crow trap with me to get soaked and covered in **** because he wants to learn. I haven't let him shoot a fox yet but he does shoot the odd unlucky rabbit. He shot his first buck with me last year as a thank you for his hard work.

So to end all the moaning of why can't I get land, its so unfair its so expensive get out there and help someone, learn about the wildlife and countryside. Shooting should be an extension of the love of the countryside. Not a passion to kill!!!
    Last edited by Dickyboy; 10-06-2011 at 22:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post

So to end all the moaning of why can't I get land, its so unfair its so expensive get out there and help someone, learn about the wildlife and countryside. Shooting should be an extension of the love of the countryside. Not a passion to kill!!!
    +1 on that

Not all of us can have that life, your holier than thou attitude is just as bad as some of the whingers. The country cannot run with us all doing what is ideal.

I like probably the majority of people on here work reasonably hard to enjoy what leisure time i have spending some hard earned at country sports. Been doing it now for a long time and contributed along the way however i can.

Too many people on here finding high horses.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Not all of us can have that life, your holier than thou attitude is just as bad as some of the whingers. The country cannot run with us all doing what is ideal.

I like probably the majority of people on here work reasonably hard to enjoy what leisure time i have spending some hard earned at country sports. Been doing it now for a long time and contributed along the way however i can.

Too many people on here finding high horses.

Well, Dickyboy's "high horse" will win more races than yours, methinks.

think dicky boys attitude is just a sensible one with keepers pay low enough help around the shoot is rewarded with trust and eventually some shooting not cash .i have a couple of guys who do alot for me during the seasons they have there f/a tickets on here and as long as they let me know when they come on the plot and when they leave i let em sit for vermin etc ,as said they stood the test of time and were reliable !

I'm afraid Dickyboy I find your post quite offensive. I to am a game keeper and I started of the same way I learnt the way of the country side from my uncle who was a head keeper on a large estate I started helping him at the age of ten and I never got to even touch a gun until I was seventeen. I to am now in the same position were I have people come to help me on the shoot some have become very close friends while some others have been let go through one reason or another. Unfortunately I live in a part of Essex That has hardly any deer maybe the odd muntjac If there was deer in my area I to would not have a problem as I do a lot of vermin control for a lot of other farms in my area. So I believe I have done my apprentice of learning about the country side ive done about 30 years learning Im DSC level 1 and just waiting for my two to come through and im still learning. I believe were you live is a fair bit to do with what you get yes you are lucky to have deer on you and be in the same position as me. I am a lot better of than most regarding I have as much vermin shooting as I can cope with. How come you wont let your chap shoot a fox as in your words he's a rotten shot but you let him shoot a buck. Since posting my post about stalking rights yesterday I have just picked up 250 acres of land with a few fallow on its not the best piece of ground but it a start. Not every one is in our position and a lot of keepers forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Well, Dickyboy's "high horse" will win more races than yours, methinks.
    Ah well opinions are like a!!!!!!!! everybody has one. Im in no race

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Ah well opinions are like a!!!!!!!! everybody has one. Im in no race
    Indeed... and most of them stink (we know)

My point, and I think it was Dickyboy's, is ... Far too many people rock up at landowners' doors asking to shoot on their land and offer nothing valid in return Bottles of whisky, for instance, are all very well but they don't pay the bills, the offer of work can really help though...

Dickyboy was illustrating appropriate ways in which one might go about earning some sport and what thinking should be behind it... Not really mounting a "high horse" was he? ... Simply advising the moaning minnies that their attitude is wrong.

Now, many people are like you (I'm sure) and work hard for their leisure and it is perfectly fair that the likes of you should buy your sport and expect good service into the bargain.

What is not fair is moochers who want it all for no effort on their part and consider a refusal as a***hole'ish behaviour on the part of a land owner.

ps. You are in a race...though you may not choose to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Indeed... and most of them stink (we know)

My point, and I think it was Dickyboy's, is ... Far too many people rock up at landowners' doors asking to shoot on their land and offer nothing valid in return Bottles of whisky, for instance, are all very well but they don't pay the bills, the offer of work can really help though...

Dickyboy was illustrating appropriate ways in which one might go about earning some sport and what thinking should be behind it... Not really mounting a "high horse" was he? ... Simply advising the moaning minnies that their attitude is wrong.

Now, many people are like you (I'm sure) and work hard for their leisure and it is perfectly fair that the likes of you should buy your sport and expect good service into the bargain.

What is not fair is moochers who want it all for no effort on their part and consider a refusal as a***hole'ish behaviour on the part of a land owner.

ps. You are in a race...though you may not choose to believe it.
    Argh Now we are maybe coming nearer to the same conclusions. I have lived and hunted in a few different countries due to work, and been a member of small groups who are avid outdoor sportsman. I am not a member of the well to do shooting fraternity myself but they have a place in the big picture i think. Big estates that employ many people need big incomes to cover costs. I am sure that our professional members will vouch for that.
    I personally prefer the small type syndicate, or shoots based on a group of friends who muck in together. But in todays world its not that easy to always dedicate the time to create the idyllic scenario that seems to be the thread here.

Thank you Tamus, Understood my point exactly, I have no problem with people paying for sport in fact I need people to as that is my business but what I am cross about is the people saying "I want shooting" and wonder why farmers will not let an un known person wander around with guns on their land. No amount of money would allow anyone to have shooting on the estate I work on, he doesn't need the money or the hassle of sorting out a problem if someone where to shoot dangerously. He wants someone who has proven they can be trusted. No idyllic scenario but an interest in learning rather than shooting would be refreshing to see!

Crouch Valley if you have so much land to shoot vermin on, how come you haven't offered to take someone from here out vermin shooting in return for some deer shooting. Alot of people I wold guess would like a change of scenery(it would also set you apart from the freeloaders) And are you not doing exactly what you are moaning about in your thread! Keeping all this land just for yourself. You might have found that there is people on here with deer land near you that they can't get to often enought to do a proper job but don't want to give up their bit of land, you could have helped them, be relieving the pressure of acheiving a cull by doing the bits they can't. I infact do this, I shoot some roe for someone on my neighbouring ground as he would have lost it if I hadn't, he helps me in my busy time. He asked me to help him as he knew I wouldn't poach his stalking rights. If I could trust more people for one reason or another I could do this more. I also have too much rabbit land so a lad who helps me does it, the job gets done and he has his first bit of permission. I'm afraid by telling people you have been trying to outbid people on land you may have blotted your copybook! Hopefully I am wrong and you can set up an arrangement with someone.

The buck was standing very still at 50yards, the reason being that a buck is a much bigger target than a fox and if you miss a buck, the only trouble you get is a couple more leaves get eaten. Miss a fox and that night it might kill a 1000 pheasants, Also foxes learn alot quicker. You don't normally get to miss an easy fox twice. If we see a fox that is off the shoot in the daytime then he will get to shoot it but that will be rare as if I'm sitting out for a fox then its on the shoot.