Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: boar

boar

what to do with a sow and 10 boarlets?
    i currently run a small shoot in devon and recently bought a trail cam susspecting 1 boar and to my suprise saw that lot!!
    the problem iv got is i got pheasants comming soon which need pellets i bet she will like them!!!!has any body got any ideas how to keep her off my pens??? dont want to shoot her yet but may have no choice if she lets my birds out!!!!

A separate feed station well away from the pens might work, just kept topped up and left undisturbed and not to drastic a method to start off with?? I guess the problem may be that dad, uncle, aunt and cousins may be lurking too. That is a lot of 'boarlets' for a single sow if pure bred boar too.

I wish you luck!

ATB

Tom

It aint going to work!
    They eat anything and everything.
    We disturbed one the other day and it left a pig shaped hole in the netting.
    I went out bunny bashing last week, we left 18 bunnies out and the following morning all gone, up went the trail cam and we got a picture of a fox, 3 badgers and 4 boar all tucking into bunnies!
    Cheers
    Richard

The only thing that you can do is to put up a high seat and feed her up till a full moon, then shot her in the head when she is in the open and wait for the little ones to return and give them the good news. Do not shoot a little one first as she will only come back when it is very dark and eat all your poults/maze ect. It is not easy you must be dedicated to sort them out.

I wouldnt shoot the sow as the youngsters ,will have no leader and spread out possibly doing
    a lot more damage
    Zeiss Pro Stalker and Agent for Starlght Night Vision

The youngsters will return to the mother until March when she will push them away.

As Solwaystalker said DON'T shoot the sow. Shoot a young one and she will take them off somewhere safer. Shooting a sow with dependant young is about the most stupid thing you can do in boar management.

If we were talking about boar management I would agree with you, but this chap is trying to save his pheasant shoot which is more important to him than managing his boar population.

Well good luck to him if he shoots the Sow. Just making more problems for the future. With strategic feeding and proper control you can have your pheasant shoot and a healthy boar population. If the pen has an electric wire around it its no hard thing to set a couple of strands at the right distance to keep the boar out of the pen. Boar in England arn't going away so the quicker people wise up to the ways of boar and there control the easier it will be. For all you keeper with drum feeders refilling them every day and standing them upright after the boar have rolled them 20 plus mtrs will give you something to really moan about

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    Well good luck to him if he shoots the Sow. Just making more problems for the future. With strategic feeding and proper control you can have your pheasant shoot and a healthy boar population. If the pen has an electric wire around it its no hard thing to set a couple of strands at the right distance to keep the boar out of the pen. Boar in England arn't going away so the quicker people wise up to the ways of boar and there control the easier it will be. For all you keeper with drum feeders refilling them every day and standing them upright after the boar have rolled them 20 plus mtrs will give you something to really moan about

Exactly!

I use an electric fence to keep boar away from a few certain small areas of land and it works. It is certainly an option for your pens if not already in place, but as Jagare says, wire position is crucial.
    Last edited by thomas; 11-06-2011 at 17:50. Reason: spelling