Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to cape a deer

How to cape a deer

I've been reading a number of threads on this subject which I have found very useful but all seem to suggest that there must be no cuts in front of the fore legs for the cape to be ideal. If that is so how do you bleed the animal prior to gralloching?
    Last edited by Lawiswar; 12-06-2011 at 22:35.

Sorry not sure I understand your post, if you mean how do you bleed, just bleed it through the diaphram.

I read the title and was going to suggest a red a cape tied around the neck, and a blue and yellow S on its chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawiswar View Post
    I've been reading a number of threads on this subject which I have found very useful but all seem to suggest that there must be no cuts in front of the fore legs for the cape to be ideal. If that is so how do you held the animal prior to gralloching?
    That is easy
    Just suspend the beast first and then cape it prior to the gralloch
    if you are concerned as you may hav to it carrying some distance and don't want to cape first,
    then just do a full gralloch and bleed it back through the diaphram
    then cape it out when you get back to base

This article might shed a bit more light on it for you
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...-of-a-lifetime

ATB
    Last edited by stone; 12-06-2011 at 13:59.

Sorry my typing and auto correct got in the way. I have now edited my question. Stone, that was what I was on about. Is it not a very bloody affair if you don't bleed it before gralloching?

Spot on from stone, just dont forget the telehandler for suspending the beast
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by Lawiswar View Post
    Is it not a very bloody affair if you don't bleed it before gralloching?
    I would not worry about it ,
    And If the cape is some thing you really want, then I would worry even less about the cavity being covered in blood or getting your hands a little more bloody than they will be anyway
    I would do my best to protect the cape from getting damaged or blood soiled with out messing about to much
    Plus you can wipe the cavity out afterwards anyway

When I had my mount done I was told that a small slit in the front from bleeding the beast isnt so much a problem. What is a problem is when the cape has been cut from the front upto the chin or just the head has been removed at the neck. I remember seeing the guy who caped mine cut from the back of the neck and all cuts as small as possible, then wiped it done and gave a good rub in salt, wrapped it in cling film and into the freezer.

I always cape from half way down the chest back up. I hate seeing long necked taxidermy rather then shoulder mounts. Do the caping and then the bleeding. That should only delay the bleeding process by a few minutes on most of the smaller species anyway.