Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why so many Germans?

Why so many Germans?

From an outsider looking in. (Ihave YET to take up stalking). Why are there so many accounts of German clients stalking over here in the shooting press? I would have thought that a Large country like Germany would have plenty opertunities of it's own.

Why are there so many Brits in Spain? LOL..only kidding. I think the idea of (at least speaking for up here) "Scottish Deer Stalking" to a lot of northern europeans, is one of great aspiration. I know coming from a scandinavia where Roe (and other) stalking is ample, going stalking in Scotland for example, is something to really tell the friends about & prepare for. Must be the whiskey, the hills, the history, and the thought that you could be stalking for a week and never manage a break from the rain! LOL.

PKL is correct I think, you can really "stalk" the hills and glens of Scotland, it's the whole package that they come for.
    Plus the Germans hold stalking in such high regard they will spend a lot of money doing so.

Having had a German shooting friend back in the 80s when stationed there I can confirm the aspirational 'thing' plus the inherent German respect for our 'gentlemanly' sporting traditons quite as much as their own which were codified by Goering according to his tastes and which remain the basis of their game laws. Goering got rid of hunting by horse and hounds as he saw it as impinging on his shooting. While woodland German reds are massive compared to hill beasts the Monarch of the Glen image is inherently more romantic and the shooting set in Germany is that bit more well to do and likes to talk about African safaris and Scots ghillies over a schnapps or two.

As PKL said Scotland in particular is attractive to Europeans our hill stalking is pretty unique.

Also UK Roe stalking is popular with Europeans especially Belgians which 99% of my clients are the reasons being Belgium is a small country with a large population 11 million in a very small country where a large portion of the population hunt stalking is hard to come by in Belgium, and like anything else its supply and demand, stalking a cull buck in Belgium can cost anything up to a 1000
    Even with travel costs and accommodation its cheaper for a Belgian to hunt in the UK than at home.

People here think stalking is expensive, they don't realise how lucky we are.

Many Belgian groups are now taking leases in the UK in fact HVV the Belgian hunting organisation are now doing DMQ 1 and 2 after sending staff over here to train, this is because there was a demand from there members for it, I would suspect purely as its easier to get a stalking lease in the UK with DMQ

Rudolph Hess had a stalking rifle on his person when he landed in Scotland to try and end the 2nd World War... + the quality and quantity is here and i have heard Belgium is almost shot out. A Fife buck may just be the buck of thier life?

Also my german clients say that there are so many people shooting that bucks never really get that old, our medium bucks are mostly better than their best, apart from the odd few.

So long as they don't start building gliders...
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    As PKL said Scotland in particular is attractive to Europeans our hill stalking is pretty unique.

Also UK Roe stalking is popular with Europeans especially Belgians which 99% of my clients are the reasons being Belgium is a small country with a large population 11 million in a very small country where a large portion of the population hunt stalking is hard to come by in Belgium, and like anything else its supply and demand, stalking a cull buck in Belgium can cost anything up to a 1000
    Even with travel costs and accommodation its cheaper for a Belgian to hunt in the UK than at home.

People here think stalking is expensive, they don't realise how lucky we are.

Many Belgian groups are now taking leases in the UK in fact HVV the Belgian hunting organisation are now doing DMQ 1 and 2 after sending staff over here to train, this is because there was a demand from there members for it, I would suspect purely as its easier to get a stalking lease in the UK with DMQ
    I think its avery good idea that Hunters from overseas should have some proof of thier ability, before they are let loose in our countryside,unfortunatly waving wads of cash seems to work better for them.
    My mate inhereted some forgien stalkers when he took over a lease, they have been comming for many years and thier money covers a fair chunk of the lease,he was less than impressed when the first 3 bucks came into the larder,but was told that he would have to get used to it!!!

Looks like a suicide bomber took these poor fellas out?