Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any handy hints for dealing with midges??

Any handy hints for dealing with midges??

There must be a few tried and tested methods for dealing with midges, would anyone care to share their ideas as the little b**gers are killin me!!

Thought about a flame thrower, and taking up smoking, but not sure i could handle napalm with all the other gear I am carrying, and not sure my doctor would be happy about the latter!! I have a green midge head net, but I can't really get a clear picture through the binos so half the time I end up taking it off..

Any ideas appreciated (funny or otherwise....).
    Timney

I have never found anything that you can use that wont, sweat of or eat anything plastic it comes into contact with, sorry.
    Best stay indoors !!!

The only thing that works when they are really bad is a midgey net.I find that all the lotions in the world dont stop the little blighters.
    Get a black midgey net as they are the easiest to see through.

Mossi-guard is worth a go. The midges are bad where we stalk Sika and it seems to work for me. Avon Skin-So-Soft doesn't!!!!!!!!!!!

Midge net and several tons of lime on the soil. Midges need acidic soil for their larvae, making the soil alkali means midges can't breed.

Timney, whilst up on Mull i discovered that the all the locals use "Avon Skin so Soft" I've tried it and it definatly works mate, Try the "original" it is scented but not as much as some of the others that are available, it's really cheap on fleabay.

tikkat3

The only thing I've found to work is a net! Long trousers, long sleeved shirt or coat, peaked cap with a net over my head. When wandering around I'll leave my hands to be eaten. When sitting I'll keep them in the side pockets of the coat when not glassing or taking aim.

DC

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TikkaT3 View Post
    Timney, whilst up on Mull i discovered that the all the locals use "Avon Skin so Soft" I've tried it and it definatly works mate, Try the "original" it is scented but not as much as some of the others that are available, it's really cheap on fleabay.

tikkat3
    +1 on Avon Skin so Soft...the midges hate it. I also have used 50% Deet in the past (they dont like this either) and also a full face mesh net and gloves....best way.
    They are a nightmare!

So what is it in the Avon product that is meant to keep them off? As I said, it doesn't work for me to be honest, and I have tried it numerous times.

You need to take a Graham with you.
    A Graham is a sacrificial stalker that attracts every midge for up to 3 miles around, leaving you to stalk in peace and tranquillity and mcmidgee free. More importantly its a known fact that any deer in season close to 'the Graham' will automatically remove themselves from the immediate vicinity thus improving your chances considerably.

Sorry Graham couldnt resist
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks