Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 x 57 as a Military Round.

7 x 57 as a Military Round.

After looking at Scrumbag's "Continental Conundrum" and thinking about a 7 x 57 and my own smart**se comment about 275 Rigby, which I only put in for a laugh, I was wondering who and when last used the 7 x 57 as a military cartridge. I know it was used in the Boer war but as that was a civilian militia one wonders if it should count. Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks,

David.
    Last edited by Kalahari; 12-06-2011 at 19:38.

Account Suspended
    I'm sure Muir will correct this if I'm wrong but: Didn't the Mexican Spanish use it to great effect against the USA... and didn't that directly lead to the creation of first the .30-03 and later the .30-06 Springfield?

I believe many South American countries kept it on as their military cartridge too.

Brazil for one used it as military cartridge and I believe it may still be in use there for counter sniping as I acquired some Brazilian 7x57 TAP ammunition a few years ago, TAP= Tactical and Police.

The 7mm Mauser was popular in central and South America and the last shipment of rifles that could not get through the blockades to the Boers ended up in Chile with the military there and if I remember correctly DWM made full filled a contract for Mauser 98 type rifles to Chile in 1912. Venezuala was using the 7 mm Mauser at least in 1924 as they had some special Mauser made for the Pan American games in 1924 in 7mm Mauser. I actually had one of these for a few years about a dozen years ago.

Off the top of my head the followign countires used the 7mm Mauser cartridge:-

Mexico
    Brazil
    Columbia
    Peru
    Venezuala
    Boliva
    Ecudor
    Chile

There are probably more but I would need to go outside to the caravan ad get Bob Ball's Mauser book out to check and it's blowing hard and raining so i'll forgo that for now.

Account Suspended
    If you can work out when it was last used by any military then, 120 years from that date, you can calculate when the French should stop classing it "1eme Categorie" ... materiel de guerre. I assume your question is prompted by the French connection... Mais non?

Venezuela used it late, as did Columbia. The FN 49 gas-operated semi's (sigh!) were chambered in it so it's been a lot later than 120 years. More like 60 years?? I know the FN 49's were post WWII but on the surplus market in 1967.~Muir

The depth of knowledge on here never ceases to amaze me. Thank you very much. Keep it up guys I like learning this sort of stuff.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    The depth of knowledge on here never ceases to amaze me. Thank you very much. Keep it up guys I like learning this sort of stuff.

David.
    Quite right, the depth and willingness to help is amazing. A cracking forum to be part of this, highly enjoyable!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    I'm sure Muir will correct this if I'm wrong but: Didn't the Mexican Spanish use it to great effect against the USA... and didn't that directly lead to the creation of first the .30-03 and later the .30-06 Springfield?

I believe many South American countries kept it on as their military cartridge too.
    It was not the Mexian Spanish but the Spanish at San Jaun Hill on Cuba using model 1892 Mausers in 7mm against the Americans 45/70 and 30-40 Krag that lead to the adoption of the Springfield 03 rifle and the 30-03 cartridge.

The 30-06 was direct response to the first Spitzer bullet from the Germans in the 8x57JS in 1905.

Serbia ordered 50'000'000 7x57 rounds just prior to WW1

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    It was not the Mexian Spanish but the Spanish at San Jaun Hill on Cuba using model 1892 Mausers in 7mm against the Americans 45/70 and 30-40 Krag that lead to the adoption of the Springfield 03 rifle and the 30-03 cartridge.

The 30-06 was direct response to the first Spitzer bullet from the Germans in the 8x57JS in 1905.
    Yes i read about this after talking to one of my stalking colleagues, it seems the cousins got a bit of a doing there, still silver lining was they went on to develop the 06.