Roe Bucks fighting - Video Footage

Timney

Just seen this good footage on youtube of territorial bucks fighting, but also shows how deer fences can work against them when they are trying to escape. Very close call and not sure whether the weaker one was okay as the footage ended whilst they were still at it !!:scared:

Fighting bucks

It SHOWS THAT DEER FENCE IS SOME TIMES THE DEER ENEMY.As are people who video deer i am sure if the chap videoing was not there the deer would have ran the fence and been off.

is this your video - if so, why didn't you step in and scare them off earlier - you saw where this was going and wasn't going to be nice:-|

if not yours, then I apologise of course..;)

IF THE MAN WITH THE VIDEO CAM :dummy:GOT OUT THE WAY ,THE BUCK WOULD HAVE GOT AWAY AND THE OTHER BUCK WOULD HAVE STAYED WHERE HE WAS AS THE BIGGER BUCK...THE LITTLE BUCK LOOKED LIKE IT WAS DONE FOR AND COULD ONLY GO ONE WAY AND GOT THE HORN AGAIN

A fight would mean there was 2 sides that was just a good oung buck getting seen off.

I agree that guy caused the buck to get hurt it would have run off long before it got spiked. Its certainly not very well, it may survive but it will never be as good again. What a D**k that guy is

is this your video - if so, why didn't you step in and scare them off earlier - you saw where this was going and wasn't going to be nice:-|

if not yours, then I apologise of course..;)

Certainly not my video, just browsing youtube!! No apology needed.
Timney

Hi, this is my video.

Firstly, which isnt clear in the video, there were fences and on 3 sides of the deer. The only way they could go, was back up the field, which the stronger of the two wouldnt allow. I was standing at the corner of the field, behind a stand of trees and behind a fence, which again, isnt clear in the video. I first heard them because they were originally in the corner, where the weaker had its head stuck through the fence, and was getting its ass kicked. I know it looks like i was blocking their exit, but infact there was an 8 foot high fence infront of me and them. Even when i went along the bottom where it was trying to get through, it was oblivous to my presence, and just moved further up and tried to force its way through. It seemed to be exhausted, and in panic mode.

I tried for over 25 mins to scare them off, but i was on the wrong side of the fence and unable to get into the actual field in which they were fighting. Even the fact that i had two dogs with me didnt seem to deter the attack.

I managed to track down the owner of the land they were on, and was filming whilst waiting for someone to come out and deal with them.

Part of me felt i should let nature takes it course, but then its not natural to have a ruddy great fence in the middle of their habitat.

I did what i thought was best, and i apologise for being "a d**k" and if infact i made matters worse. This attack had been going on for a good 30-40 mins before i even got there, as i heard the noise from way across the woodland. Im not a deer expert, i was just out walking, but wasnt prepared to turn a blind eye to suffering.

And yes, this guy is a girl.

Hi, Sincere apologies from me, it did look damning when the buck ran towards you and stopped looking straight at you. You obviously did what you could and caught some interesting footage of the damage we have done to their habitat and those reprocussions. With so many stupid people messing with the wildlife everyday where I work, I put you in that same catergory. Again Apologies!

What you certainly have brought to my attention is I need new computer speakers.

Hi, Sincere apologies from me, it did look damning when the buck ran towards you and stopped looking straight at you. You obviously did what you could and caught some interesting footage of the damage we have done to their habitat and those reprocussions. With so many stupid people messing with the wildlife everyday where I work, I put you in that same catergory. Again Apologies!

What you certainly have brought to my attention is I need new computer speakers.

Well i can see how such assumptions are made. It does look like im standing in the same field as them and just filming it with no thought to their welfare, but i assure you that was not the case, as this rather out of focus pic will show. I just zoomed in through the wire.
15dsa2r.jpg

What wasnt picked up by my cam very well, was that when the aggressor did back off to the other side, he strutted and barked a lot, before coming back into attack. He also didnt seem all that scared of me, even when at one point i was clapping, shouting and waving at him. Is this typical behaviour, especially for this time of year? Despite living in the countryside, and walking on a nature reserve, i dont hang around when deer are about as i dont like to disturb them too much as i have my dogs with me. I usually just walk the opposite way if i see one and it hasnt seen me.

I do hope i did the right thing. Walking off just didnt seem right.

noodle child interesting footage would you consider sending it to training @bds.org.uk I am sure it can be used for educational work

If you had walked off the young buck may have done a lap of the field and and older buck thought it was running off....On the other hand it may have pegged it in the corner and given it a full hiding and really done alot of damage to it.....You will never know... Unless you put the fence up you didn't cause it.

The problem from what I can see is the yong buck is really quite a good young buck, if he had been smaller he probably would have been tolerated. When bucks are of a similar size the fights do get severe.
Bucks in that mood will take little notce of you, hence the reason they get run over alot at this time of year, typical men when they get a one track mind.

noodle child interesting footage would you consider sending it to training @bds.org.uk I am sure it can be used for educational work
I shall certainly try.
If you had walked off the young buck may have done a lap of the field and and older buck thought it was running off....On the other hand it may have pegged it in the corner and given it a full hiding and really done alot of damage to it.....You will never know... Unless you put the fence up you didn't cause it.

The problem from what I can see is the yong buck is really quite a good young buck, if he had been smaller he probably would have been tolerated. When bucks are of a similar size the fights do get severe.
Bucks in that mood will take little notce of you, hence the reason they get run over alot at this time of year, typical men when they get a one track mind.
The fence is around the entire property of some very rich people. It goes on for about 5 miles apparently.

When i first got there, the smaller one had its head stuck in the fence, the main reason i hung around tbh. If he hadn't had done, i probably would have just carried on and left them alone.

Well he's probably a young buck that is going to get pushed from pillar to post untill he gets killed, you can't pen roe deer together, nothing will really save him I'm afraid

WOW as much as i enjoy this sport i wood of stepped in long before even though you should not interfere with nature:-|

Why not send a copy of your video to the owner of the land and ask him to take his fence down!

Back