Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone help - Stalking ion Scotland?

Can anyone help - Stalking ion Scotland?

Hi all,

A good friend of mine has been trying to organise a week up in Scotland (from the 23rd October to 30th October) including a few days stalking for five of us. We appear to have hit a bit of a brick wall.

Having got a preliminary ok for few days hind cull stalking on one estate and a day or two on the neighbouring estate (and having booked the accomodation on one of them) we were awaiting costs before confirming the number of days.

We have now been told that there is no availability on one of the estates (after they had initially told us there was...but have now descovered we're not staying on their estate) and the other estate has quoted us 150 a hind (yes you did read that correctly) and as such i'm not preppared to pay that sort of money for hinds. I know estates and stalkers need to make money etc but i think that is a bit much.

Does anyone know of any stalking in Sutherland or surrounding area, we're staying the the southeast corner. There are 5 of us, two couples (who want to stalk with their respective halves) and myself. I have my own rifle but have limited experiance stalking, its all been down south for roe and fallow. The others would need an "estate" rifle but have all been stalking in Scotland before, ideally we'd all be accompanied. We don't necessarily have to all stalk on the same days, probably looking for only two or three each, for three of us.

We are prepared to pay the going rate and so not after a freebe, just something realistic. Is anybody able to help me?

Would also be interested in some other shooting/fishing in the area if you know of anything that week?

Many thanks in advance.

Jim

To be honest Jim 150 for hinds sounds about the going rate. I know some estates will charge 150 per day and let you shoot more than one beast but on many estates extraction is a problem and so you are physically limited to one hind in the day.

My experience is that the estate usually charges 50 for the hind and the stalker charges 100 for his time so you need to ask how much you get paid for a day to see if you think he is being over paid.

No No No
    The going rate directly from an estate is 50-60 plus vat per hind and no charge for calves.If you are dealing with a genuine estate the the stalker is paid by the estate and if you are told anything different look out !

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Contact David Brown from this site, he has stalking and accommodation on site, both very nice..........

He might be able to help.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

http://www.gowsport.co.uk/stalking.htm

http://www.sportinglets.co.uk/reay.htm

http://www.countrysportscotland.com/...rovider_id=174

http://www.shinnesslodge.co.uk/Deer-Stalking.html

http://hunting.shooting.sh/new/2007/...te-sutherland/

http://www.countrysportscotland.com/...rt=12&x=40&y=8

Theres 6 options you certainly won't be disappointed with any of them if only just on a scenery point of view if your looking for remote Gow sport or Gober reay forest you dont just nip to the shops fro these areas .
    Last edited by widows son; 14-06-2011 at 10:17.

Sutherland

That's about as remote as it gets.... and a 15hour drive from Hampshire (without stops)
    I can recommend somewhere nr Aviemore with accomodation but looking on the map it seems Sutherland is about 4 hours further north and it looks like there's only one road.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Sutherland

That's about as remote as it gets.... and a 15hour drive from Hampshire (without stops)
    I can recommend somewhere nr Aviemore with accomodation but looking on the map it seems Sutherland is about 4 hours further north and it looks like there's only one road.
    Si ,you'll have to get out of your comfort zone, Sutherland is the place to do it.

You are right ws, I do need to venture further north.... I bet you could stalk everyday for month and never see another person up there.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Sutherland

Aldershot to Inverness = 9 hours, Inverness to Sutherland= 1 hour

I don't speed, value my licence far to much...........

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    Aldershot to Inverness = 9 hours, Inverness to Sutherland= 1 hour

I don't speed, value my licence far to much...........

TJ
    I was working on 11 hours from where i live.....think my arse cheeks will be a bit numb if i go on any longer than that!

Cheers for the responses so far guys, much appreciated. i'll look into them over the next couple of days. Does anyone else have anything they know of....?

Cheers again.

Jim