Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Former marine jailed for exporting S&B PMII's to Iran

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Former marine jailed for exporting S&B PMII's to Iran

I happened to catch File on Four on Radio 4 the other day as I was driving home. It concerned a former marine who has been jailed for 2 1/2 years for exporting 100 Schmidt & Bender PM II's to Dubai, though with Iran as the final destination.

It was an interesting program.

You can read about it here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ling-ring.html

You can read the BIS advice to exporters here: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...1q5sOWGcnaaYZw

Or listen to a replay of File on Four here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/fileon4

The BIS advice is interesting, in that it states: "They were Schmidt and Bender 3-12x50 PM II LP scopes, which are high-specification precision optical scopes designed for use with sniper rifles and used worldwide by military snipers".

Best they don't look at the Classifieds section......

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

He pled guilty though.

How would I stand if I took up one of the hunts to Pakistan offered on here?

I hope he is very proud of himself.

Farms,

Down to you to know what you can take when you go abroad. Get it wrong and only yourself to blame.

Things can change but it's still down to you to comply.

Stan

nothing to do with stalking thank you

do the crime do the time he new what he was getting uo to

small potatos, the Austrians exported 1000 .50 sniper rifles Directly to Iran in 2006/2007, one of them was found killing coalition soldiers in Iraq 2 weeks later!!

Dave

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    nothing to do with stalking thank you
    trouble

I can see why you might interpret it that way, so perhaps let me explain my reason for posting.

What is interesting from a stalking perspective is the interpretation by BIS (our own UK Department of Business Innovation & Skills) stating "Schmidt and Bender 3-12x50 PM II LP scopes, which are high-specification precision optical scopes designed for use with sniper rifles ". Take a look in the Classifieds section here on the site and see how many people are buying/selling such scopes.

There have been many threads recently about importing/exporting stalking equipment and a lot of discussion about which laws might apply. As others have pointed out, buying a scope from the US and bringing it into the UK - even as a personal purchase - has become increasingly difficult. Without going over old ground again, this is because they have a prohibition in the US on exporting "riflescopes manufactured to military specification". As it happens, there is no designated list of makes/models of scopes that meet this criteria so which scopes are affected is open to the interpretation of the authorities - something that can catch the unwary, both buyer and seller.

In the UK BIS has now specifically identified S&B PMII's as "high-specification precision optical scopes designed for use with sniper rifles". So what do you think might happen when one is taking a rifle with such a scope into or out of the country? And do you think that they will actually be able to identify a S&B PMII as opposed to a Swarovski, Leupold, Zeiss, IOR or other? The potential for stalking - and particularly for people hunting abroad - may be nothing more than a bit more hassle when arriving or departing from the border, but I still thought that it might be of interest.

I listened to the program expecting someone - politician or broadcaster - to start asking why anyone would need a scope of that specification and why aren't they more tightly controlled. We only have to see what's happened in the past with anything to do with firearms legislation to know how the knee-jerk reaction can take hold.

As I say, apologies if the OP caused offence, it wasn't meant that way.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Its caused offence to me!

Not the fact that WG has brought it up but the fact that an ex bootneck would do this.

I bet his ex mates will take a fairly dim view of it, he'll probably wish that he had got a ten year stretch not two and a half, some lads have long memories when it comes to matters like this.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post
    small potatos, the Austrians exported 1000 .50 sniper rifles Directly to Iran in 2006/2007, one of them was found killing coalition soldiers in Iraq 2 weeks later!!

Dave
    Thankfully a ******** internet story. It surrounded Steyr who disproved the story but not without some degree of damage was experienced. Dealers in the US refused to sell Steyrs' for a while, Brazil dropped a large contract for police SSG69s and South Africa turned back a large shipment.