Do you stalk in cammo?.

www.yorkshireroestalking.

Distinguished Member
To say I had nearly a week off after having my eyes done not a bad start.
03062011678.jpg

45m's
gold.jpg

207m's
AR.jpg

100m's
george.jpg

45m's
guy.jpg

80m's
martyn3.jpg

120m's (I think).
How many of you stalk wearing full camo (including a face mask) and think it makes a difference.
I have included ranges here just for reference.
Picture 3 was stalked early in the week by me and the prince and we got 40m's from him without detection but he wasn't quick enough to take the shot. Note the cammo they were NOT wearing.
My usual attire,
fallow.jpg

I will wear cammo i depends if the construction of the clothing suits the weather more then what the pattern is.
Usually have gloves on but rarely if ever wear a head net.
Please constructive posts only as these pictures are of some of our fellow members off here, and very successful they are.
I genuinely believe its what we do not what we wear what puts deer in the larder.

I agree, do wear camo but not always, usually camo jacket Roe stalking, tweed on the hill always wear a hat but never a face mask, and don't like wearing gloves, and whilst I know that face and hands are easiest seen have never found it to make much difference, as you said more what we do than what we wear.

When i was seven my dad and me whent stalking with the camera we got to within two arms length of a fallow doe.
When she put her head down we moved when she raised her head we stoped. We were talking about the picture we had taken the other day and I asked if we were wearing dark clothing at the time. He reminded me of the White trainers that I would not take off at that time and the fact that I had I bright White tee shirt on as I had fallen in a pond about a hour before.

I have since learned the cervids have eye sight based on movement if you move while they look at you they will see you.

I don't know how many cone receptors deer eyes have as this can make I difference to what color range they can see.

I wish I could find that picture.

John,

As you know I have a pair of Deerhunter real Tree trousers and a Deerhunter green moleskin jacket which is what I wore when stalking with you. So NO I don't usually wear full cammo. I do have a face veil which saw more use for Pigeon shooting that stalking. I do have a couple of DPM jackets that can be used at different times of the year but in all honesty the Deerhunter sees most use which is why it's showing signs of wear and age. If I remember correctly I brought it back in 97 the trouser were brought in 2003.

I did pick up a tweed shooting jacket off a member here so the Deerhunter will see many more seasons use as I can spread the wear between to two now!

I do not ware camo just soft tweed but i do ware a face viel to keep midges off and to hide my big pink face also my white hair which the deer would spot from a long way off. Tame deer never react the same way john head up north and try for some wild ones :lol:

Last edited:
I do not ware camo just soft tweed but i do ware a face viel to keep midges off and to hide my big pick face also my white hair which the deer would spot from a long way off. Tame deer never react the same way john head up north and try for some wild ones :lol:
Thats a bold statement mate from someone who shoots them in gardens. LOL:lol::D

John, I have a HWG Montana jacket and trousers, but I bought them because of price not for cammo purposes. I believe in wearing clothing that does not stand out, so dull browns/greens or dun colours are what i wear for preference. I do believe in wearing a veil and gloves, but this is probably a hangover from shooting pigeons and wildfowl. If you watch people from a distance in winter and the sun suddenly shines on them, their faces and hands show up like someone shining a torch or waving a white flag.

Simon

I wear camo when I stalk in areas there are alot of footpaths, not for the deer but so people can't see me!! Other than that its whatever I put on in the morning.

I wear headnet on the final approach when coming across open ground, other han that I wear it when sat under highseats if the client has his missus out

I wear a DPM jacket and a pair of green combats. I agree with the train of thought of matching your environment in regards to shades of colour opposed to pattern.

Whats important to me is comfort. Theres nothing worse than being wet and miserable or too hot when stalking. Im currently looking for some new gear because of this. Ive looked at some walking clothes and the only snag is the noise that some of it makes.

I pretty much always wear a face veil.. i cant say whether it helps, but it cant make things worse and also helps keep the midges off. I think that by having your face covered and your gloves on, you can get away with a lot more movement than you could otherwise.

this all seems very sensible and i would follow that however about a week ago whilst out with my girlfriend we stalked some deer up to about 20m me in my olive and brown kit AND HER IN A BRIGHT RED NORTH FACE JACKET AND A PAIR OF JEANS AND WHITH TRAINERS :rolleyes:MAKES YOU LAUGH! all the time we spend trying so hard to blend in and a girl goes and dose it in the brightest possible clothes :doh:makes you sick!
SO YES I MUST NOW AGREE THAT IT'S WHAT YOU DO RATHER THAN WHAT YOU WEAR BUT I STII THINK IT HELPS TO BLEND IN FOR A NUMBER OF REASONS AND NOT ALL PLACES AND DEER ARE THE SAME SO I'LL CONTINUE TO WEAR MY DRAB COLOURS NOT LEAST BECAUSE I HAVE THEM NOW AND HAVE TO JUSTIFY THE EXPENSE TO HER INDOORS:lol:

bit too "tactical" for me.

spot of tweed never goes amiss on the hill or wood. but any old green and brown clothes that happen to be dry and possibly clean.

Once did an epic stalk which took 5 1/2 hours and the best part of 3 miles of hill to get within 75yds on a monster 10 point stag. Accompanied by my wife who was wearing a red and white hiking jacket and what I can only describe as "off white" waterproof golf trousers which swished with every step!

driven days for game - Tweeds. Highland stalking in colder conditions when no rain is expected - Tweeds.

Roe stalking, harkila trousers, boots or wellies, and a button down country shirt, if jacket is needed, then browning goretex in green. If warm, or rainy days,, or super-cold on the hill, then I'll wear this instead of tweeds, but use fleece/pile layering systems to control moisture/heat dispersion.

very simple, and both topped off with a stetson hat - Muir will be proud:lol: - http://www.styleceo.com/images/stores/962/8/8-10094887

Barbour fingerless wollen gloves makes handling your gear easy, and keeps hands warm, apart from the really biting cold days when a full finger glove is needed.

Faceveils just P1SS me off, and so does excessive camo, face paint, and so does acting like you're a sniper and the deer are out to kill you if you don't get them first:doh: I prefer to keep it reasonably classy, comfy, and be able to stroll in to the Co Op for some extra's without fear of getting looked at strangely after a mornings stalk. If a missing facenet or summer-gloves cause me to scare a buck here and there, so be it, I want to be comfortable and enjoy myself first of all - I stalk for pleasure not to put food on the table.

I wear a plain green jacket and trousers, so no cammo there.

I have a bald head and viking complexion so I always wear a hat. I fear I would look like a white chocolate malteser without. I also wear gloves as I fear my white hands are like flags waving when I look through the binos. I wear a facemask if in a high seat.

My experience is limited but I agree that movement is the key thing. I wear the gloves and hat mainly for confidence. I struggle to keep still for long periods so I figure that a gloved hand moving slowly is less noticable to a deer than an ungloved one. I may be wrong, but it gives me confidence.

I think you'll know my answer to this robbo but ill post it anyway and explain why. Im a fan of plain green//brown drab clothing or tweed. This is because im from a game shooting not stalking background and I hate to think what my grandfather would think if he invited me on a days shooting and I turned up in camo. It doesnt bother me but he is a plus 4s and side by side type of man and i've taken after it as doesn't everyone idolise their granddad? Also I want my clothes to be multi use. There is nothing I own for game shooting that I wouldn't wear stalking and vis versa as I dont need two sets of clothes. I always stalking in a tweed flat cap and shooting gloves but not a face vail although I do have one for pigeon shooting as i think its more needed then. Anyway not wearing camo or a face vail doesn't seem to effect me I have a good enough success rate and can get plenty close enough to deer to shoot them or indeed take pictures when out with the camera.

George

Oh, just had to mention - I don't care what anyone says but no Goretex will keep the water out when you crawl 300m's over soaking wet moss, and then lay flat in almost pure water for 2hrs waiting for a stag to get into position....for that, there's only one thing for me - old schoold dark green rubber jacket and trousers! the water will NOT get though:D - any fool can be uncomfortable - LOL

Sorry guys but I do think that knowing how a deers senses work is more key than what clothes you have on. Adjusting your behaviour can have a great impact. I got into stalking from shooting rabbits with an air rifle probably like 60% of people on here. After a while of being disappointed I got a book about wild rabits and found out how sensitive there foot pads are. The trip after 40 rabits in 3 1/2 hours. Job done.

Back