Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you choose

How did you choose

Following on, in my head anyway, from flat bottom or boat tail, how did you decide which brand/ type of bullet to use, I've just got a 25.06 and decided to use Sierra Game Kings 117g purley on cost, old stock 15 a box

Regards
    Andrew

Easy!!!
    A. What do you need it to do for penetration vs expansion, and on what range of game
    B. What is your budget per box of 100
    C. What can you easily get from your RFD
    D. Which weight will stabilise best in your barrell

I personally couldn't care less if my bullet was flat base or boat tail, as long as it meets the above criteria AND shoots within MOA to 300yds I'm happy as Larry.

For example, for my .243 I picked Hornady BTHP 87g as it is IMHO the ultimate weight for a 20" 1:10 twist barrel. They are easy to get, and are also quite cheap. Expansion is great for fox, yet not overly excessive for roe. They are accurate and easy to load due to the boat tail.

There are a number of different bullets in a given weight range that are designed for the game you are hunting (i.e. varmint, deer, large game, dangerous game, etc.) and after that, it depends which ones I can create the most accurate load with. Un/fortunately that leaves a fair bit of experimentation. Personally I favour relatively heavy for calibre, which for me means 140 in a 6.5mm, 140/150 in a .270, 160/168 in a 7mm, etc. However, for deer I don't necessarily want bonded or controlled expansion in a heavy for calibre bullet because they sometimes don't open well. Likewise i don't want a rapid expander if I'm pushing them quickly. Trial and error - you'll find what works for you... Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Following on, in my head anyway, from flat bottom or boat tail, how did you decide which brand/ type of bullet to use, I've just got a 25.06 and decided to use Sierra Game Kings 117g purley on cost, old stock 15 a box

Regards
    Andrew
    You mean to say that you have a choice! Most of the time I go to the gun shop it's a matter of take it or leave it as there is seldom a choice available.

1. Availability
    2. weight/construction etc to my liking.
    3. Availability
    4. Availability

No point having a great load for a bullet you cannot get hold off.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Availability is easy, for me anyway, I live near quite few shops that I can get supplies from, it was just a curiosity thing, why Nosler not Sierra etc, I like the Sierra brand so tend to stick with them, although I have used Hornady in my 243 with no real complaints, although when that box is finished I may try the Sierra's

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    You mean to say that you have a choice! Most of the time I go to the gun shop it's a matter of take it or leave it as there is seldom a choice available.
    Ain't that always the case, nobody ever seems to hold much stock within 60 miles of me.

Andrew, going back a few years, I used mainly Hornady bullets, they are very good, not too expensive and I could get hold of them fairly readily.

I had a couple of good loads using Sierra's in the 222 and more recently in the 260. Gave up on them as I could never get them.

Using Nosler's pretty much exclusively now in the 260, and Hornady A Max in the 22/250, because of the earlier reasons.

If you can get the Sierra's, and are happy, use away, they are perfectly good bullets.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by old man View Post
    Ain't that always the case, nobody ever seems to hold much stock within 60 miles of me.
    hi try andy at belper tackle and gun if he ant got it he will get it he is a good bloke and good price.. he in derbyshire.call.01773822525 ask for andy

Was recommended Nosler Partition when I first started out 10 years ago and have stuck with them ever since. Tried a few others in between when I havent been able to get a box of Partitions but have always come back to them. Very dependable, never had a failure.

Tom