BUG BAND

splash

i was lucky to get one of the free bug bands from Sporting Rifle.
And can say that the last three times i have been out useing it i have NOT been bitten !

Fantastic the week before i had the BUG BAND i was eaten alive by mossies 5 bites one one hand through cotton gloves, And as i am allergic to histomine it puts a downer on summer shooting as i can swell alarmingly around bite sites.

SO thanks S.R and bug band i will be buying one next time !!!

BUG BAND ? RECOMMENDED !!!!!!

Hi Splash, never heard of bug band, where do you get them from. I will be up in the highlands soon, and would like to try it out on the midges.

Cheers Sikamalc

www.118golf.co.uk £4.95

They are supposed to last 120 hrs and come in a little pot so they keep fresh when not used, i have had mine on for about 24 hrs total so far divided by 3 trips.
Also my m8 who was in the back of the truck lamping with me last night was not bitten either as the band is suppose to work for about a 10' radius .
The lamp attracted alot of fly's though, as you might expect. i have tried alot of other cures/insect reppellents but have still been bitten but this band has worked so far !

Cheers guys, I shall give it a severe field test on Scottish midges a little later in the year. If it keeps those off, it will keep anything off, dont know about Teste flies though!!

Regards Sikamalc

Bug Bands

I bought 3 bug bands after seeing them in sporting rifle.

I have pictures of midges crawling all over my hands with the band on my wrist. They might work for gardens or light use, but no use against the Scottish Midge.

Best is RID100 which uses DEET. It is a chemical it might be bad for you but it works.

colin

Thanks Colin, Scottish midges are a pain in the bum, when you are trying to stalk quietly for Sika in the rut. We do not seem to get the eraly frosts in late September and early October to kill them off like we used to do 15 to 20 years ago. So the little bighters are always out in force, and just love me.

I have to admit I have tried just about everything, and nothings seems to work on me. Napalme or agent orange would probably get rid of them?

Tried skin so soft about 3 years ago when everyone in Scotland said its for real "it works". Sorry matey not on me, the little buggers still get through.

Stalking with a midge net on I hate, and when its early in the year one can get so sweaty and hot climbing around, and as soon as you sit still they are on me like a pack of Wolves.

Ahh I hate them.

A Greek Cypriot friend of mine swears by bog standard cheap as chips olive oil that has had lots of garlic and lemon grass mixed in with it. He make a big batch around about March leaves it to stand for a few days in the fridge and just decants it into a smaller bottle as and when he needs it,

It worked just fine when we were over in Sweden last year and he's used it very successfully when he's had to work in some very midgey places around the world. Remembering to top your coverage up seems to be the trick as sweat tends to dilute the repellent effect after a while, just as you have to with Skin so Soft

Makes your stalking clobber pen and ink a bit but then that all adds to the repellent effect.

Cheers Colin, I have looked at the site and Deet is reasonably good as a repellant, but not good for long use on the skin, but it is about the only thing that keeps midges off me, although it is not long before even that fails with me.

Lets hope we get some nice early frosts in mid to late September in the highlands, that tends to knock them on the head.

DEET use at your peril!!!!

"DEET should be used with caution due to its possible damaging effects on brain cells. Studies have shown that DEET causes brain cell death and behavioral changes in rats after frequent and prolonged use. This exposure causes neurons to die in regions of the brain that control muscle movement, learning, memory, and concentration. Rats treated with an average human dose of DEET (40 mg/kg body weight) performed far worse when challenged with physical tasks requiring muscle control, strength and coordination. These findings are consistent with reported human symptoms following DEET's use by the military in the Persian Gulf War."

http://dukemednews.duke.edu/news/healthtip.php?id=5656

I think I'll stick with the Skin so Soft or the natural home made Olive Oil/Garlica&Lemongrass product.

Thank you Marty, I was aware of the side effects of Deet, although maybe in not such in depth detail. I usually end up putting nothing on and wearing gloves and a midge net, as anything highly perfumed is a bit of a giveaway whilst stalking.

I seem to remember a similar thread about deet and garlic on this forum sometime ago!!

Does it have to be 'Bog standard' olive oil? I've got some organic extra virgin olive oil. I'm out of lemon grass, would balsamic vinegar be okay? I worried that I may be mistaken for a pizza at this rate! :lol:

You can never be to well informed! Especially about the use of chemicals.

Debates about using Man made v Natural insect repellents have been doing the rounds of the various outdoor activity forums for years. Deet, Permethrine, citronella, Avon Skin so Soft,and garlic, have all been championed many times over by various people. You pay your money and you make your choice!

I prefer natural to man made. Those US service man that were exposed to Agent Orange were assured that it was perfectly harmless just as those service men exposed to DEET in the Gulf Wars were. Any one else get a sense of history repeating its self ?

If deer can smell your insect repellent they will be able to smell you highly perfumed or not. But they might not associate the smell with humans. :p

Beowulf said:
Does it have to be 'Bog standard' olive oil? I've got some organic extra virgin olive oil. I'm out of lemon grass, would balsamic vinegar be okay? I worried that I may be mistaken for a pizza at this rate! :lol:

What ever rocks your boat :p

Hello Marty,

I have read with interest, and looked at the web site you have mentioned. Your response is slightly misleading in that the report you quote from states, and I quote "At this point in time there is little information about short term singular and occassional use of Deet" unquote. It is true that consistent usage of Deet by ordinary folk and by troops using a cocktail of chemicals has caused problems with some individuals.

As I said in my previous reply before your response, I am aware of the problems with the use of Deet. Thank you for also pointing out to us all about deer being able to smell me and any repellant on me. After 30 years of managing and stalking deer and big game hunting I think I have worked that one out.

Apart from using your home recipe repellant to ward off mozzies etc, it also sounds like it would do very well slapped on a venison steak on the barbecue.

I am slightly suprised that you have commented so quickly on the above subject, and yet refrained from replying to my other questions on other threads. In particular I would like to know how you know Dannie Van Ellewee, you appear from your comment to know him well? Have you hunted with him? or Africa? And where did you ghillie in Wester Ross? As I do know a number of people in the Wester Ross deer group, two of whom are friends of mine.

As you appear to be anew member on the forum? It is nice to know where people come from and who knows whom. A small group of us on here are getting to know each other well: nice people Mr B, Wayne, Swampy, JayB, Smithy, Mark H, Rob, Ladystalker, Monynut, I very much look forward to their company later this year.

Thank you.

Malc

"I have read with interest, and looked at the web site you have mentioned. Your response is slightly misleading in that the report you quote from states, and I quote "At this point in time there is little information about short term singular and occassional use of Deet" unquote. It is true that consistent usage of Deet by ordinary folk and by troops using a cocktail of chemicals has caused problems with some individuals."
There are literally dozens if not hundreds of similar reports regarding the use of DEET. I say ignore them at your peril. Better to err on the side of caution than be conned completely. As the US service men involved with Agent Orange found out to their costs. Irreparable damage is just that irreparable. Just like shooting related hearing loss.

"As I said in my previous reply before your response, I am aware of the problems with the use of Deet. Thank you for also pointing out to us all about deer being able to smell me and any repellant on me. After 30 years of managing and stalking deer and big game hunting I think I have worked that one out."
Really. OK.

"Apart from using your home recipe repellant to ward off mozzies etc, it also sounds like it would do very well slapped on a venison steak on the barbecue."
I've never thought of that, not to sure about the lemon grass with venison though. Chicken or fish may be.

"I am slightly suprised that you have commented so quickly on the above subject, and yet refrained from replying to my other questions on other threads. In particular I would like to know how you know Dannie Van Ellewee, you appear from your comment to know him well? Have you hunted with him? or Africa? And where did you ghillie in Wester Ross? As I do know a number of people in the Wester Ross deer group, two of whom are friends of mine."
Refrained I don't think so, perhaps I might have missed your questions. Were they in post directly address to me? I've never meet Danie van Ellewee, his identity was confirmed by a fellow syndicate member as I thought I had recognised him from his african hunting trip video's. I hopefully will be hunting down that way or South Africa early next year. I have never ghillied in Wester Ross be it either stalking or fishing, the place is to bloody hard going for those silly games. IMO

"As you appear to be anew member on the forum? It is nice to know where people come from and who knows whom. A small group of us on here are getting to know each other well: nice people Mr B, Wayne, Swampy, JayB, Smithy, Mark H, Rob, Ladystalker, Monynut, I very much look forward to their company later this year."
That's nice for you all. I too may well have a chance to enjoy the company of some of those on your list as well as a number of others. The time and the place have yet to be decided but we are working on it. You never know you and steve just might get an invite.

Marty

Marty

I know what you mean about Wester Ross. But its grand country never the less.

Back