Advice on rifles please

That is also why I'm looking at a sako for my deer rifle. Rifles are a bit like cars for young lads, you just tweak this and that.

Hi Deputy Dawg
I've got a very nice Tikka 595 which I would like to sell as soon as I can get around to it .PM me if interested.

Good luck -

Hi - Deputy Dawg

My advice would be to choose a rifle that will shoot an inch at 100yrds with ease or can be easily accurised (ie cz, tikka, sako, remington etc) spend as much on the scope as on the rifle and with regard to calibre something reasonable on the shoulder! There is nothing worse than a flinch!! But will also do the job on your main quarry species.
Good luck and happy hunting!!
K

Dep Dawg
Welcome.
I would buy a secondhand rifle and I wouldn't decide on a make until you've held pointed worked the action and preferably fired a few rounds through two or three different ones. My 7mm Heym "just turned up" as it were and when I saw it and played around with it I knew it was a cracking bit of kit. The previous owner is a good bloke who knew what he was talking about and had made some minor modifications which suited me. The thing was £500. New they are about £2000. I have a slot for .243 which is kind of empty at the moment and I'll be looking for a short light second hand mauser-type rifle. I have my eye on a cz brno 550 which has been chopped down a bit but I don't really go on brand loyalty (although personally prefer european to american). I hope this helps.

Hi - Deputy Dawg

My advice would be to choose a rifle that will shoot an inch at 100yrds with ease

that doesnt narrow it down much and most new rifles now have been tested to demonstrate MOA accuracy.
cant think of any that dont as no-one would buy them
you could spend £100 or £3000 on a rifle and not have much difference in accuracy unless there is an issue.

I grew up shooting a no name POS 270 that has probably had 2000-3000 rounds through it. still shoots sub inch groups at 100

Jez if you bothered to read my introduction or profile. Iv been shooting for many years and know the ways of the country side as you put in. Iv had my SGC for
3 yrs an my FAC for nearly 2. I have a .17hmr an am very compedant with that rifle and so forth.
I put down newbie asking for advice, as i am new to getting deer shooting getting some stalking. I'm not a totall novice to shooting
center fires as i have pointed out. But not as experienced as some most of you lot.

All i asked for was some advice on buy a rifle an what makes are the best for about a grand. As for shooting air rifles, i expect iv owned an shot a lot
more then you and as for mowing old ladies lawns an, i have done many a lawn an emptied many a bin as i work for local council.
So now will you be satisfied an leave me move up to a big rifle as you bluntly put it

Well said mate. I can vouch for what you've said above. :tiphat:

I would go for a Remy, good solid rifles and loads of bits available to make them even better. The T3's are accurate but i think the build quality is on the cheap side.I found the action very sloppy on the one i used and the plastic stock utter rubbish. On another forum people have been complaining about about the bolt shroud breaking, its plastic too and cost £60 to replace.
Al

I would go for a Remy, good solid rifles and loads of bits available to make them even better. The T3's are accurate but i think the build quality is on the cheap side.I found the action very sloppy on the one i used and the plastic stock utter rubbish. On another forum people have been complaining about about the bolt shroud breaking, its plastic too and cost £60 to replace.
Al

:lol: don't try a Mauser then as the bolt was designed with the in-built slop. Wish I had a quid fro everytime I have seen one wagged in a shop and the tut-tutting over the slop.

Back