Thread: S & B 8x56 anygood for lamping foxes 200yrd + ?

S & B 8x56 anygood for lamping foxes 200yrd + ?

Hi guys! i know this subject is probably worn out! but i'm new to this.

I use a variable mag bushnell scope at the moment and have no problem shooting out to 200yrd with it set at 12x50 but after that i start to strugle under lamp light. would a s&b 8x56 be any better or do i need to gett a variable mag with a much higher magnification?

hi, i have said scope with a 25mm lens and i shot a charlie in the neck at 250yds dropped like a sack of *****... so from my experience yes they are good for lamping foxes at 200yds+!
    Regards, Jez.
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

I have a S & B 2.5 - 10 x 56 Zenith iL for lamping and its usually set at between 6 and 8. works fine for me out to 200 for fox. hope that helps and welcome to the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka243fox View Post
    Hi guys! i know this subject is probably worn out! but i'm new to this.

I use a variable mag bushnell scope at the moment and have no problem shooting out to 200yrd with it set at 12x50 but after that i start to strugle under lamp light. would a s&b 8x56 be any better or do i need to gett a variable mag with a much higher magnification?
    Not had any problems with fixed power scopes, (never had a variable power scope) i've got 8x56 schmit on my 243 shot foxes out to 250 no problems.

Yep many a fox got shot at 200+ with my s+b 8x56 pre swarov variable

dont wanna be a whinge bag, belly acher ,but as your new to i guess foxing try calling your charlies to get em in a bit closer ,no harm getting em in to say 100 150 especially the harvest cubs coming up soon ,the more educated 2nd hand foxs may need a longer shot later when your cooking on gas .not meaning this as a no it all goody goody just hope it helps a bit
    ps have x2 8x56 s/b hungarians 30mm tubes great scope for the dosh
    Last edited by norma 308; 15-06-2011 at 21:41.

The S&B 8x56 is a very good lamping scope. Just remember that lamping requires a lot more care than shooting in good light. At 200yds even with the best of lamps and scopes you can easily miss seeing something which may well have you reconsidering the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    The S&B 8x56 is a very good lamping scope. Just remember that lamping requires a lot more care than shooting in good light. At 200yds even with the best of lamps and scopes you can easily miss seeing something which may well have you reconsidering the shot.
    i agree with this, i had been using a s&b 6x42 on one of my rifles and while perfect for woodland stalking was only ok for lamping. sure i could put a cross hair on a fox at sensible ranges BUT i found at the longer ranges it was difficult to assess every aspect of the shot. I swapped for a 4-12 for a good stalking lamping compromise and this seems to work well. 8 will obv be better than 6 but for lamping i like a little more power

Cheers guys fo all your help. I do shoot quite a few foxes in a lamp, on average about 50-60 a year mostly on moorland, not many cereal crops in the yorkshire dales. i was just wondering because my freinds all have nightforce 5.5-22 (very expensive) and they all seem to be messing about zooming in and out where as i just put the gun on the bonnet and shoot. seems to get the job done alot quicker. think i will be going for a fixed mag 8x56. as most foxes i shoot are about 180-200yrds. will let ya know how i get on. thanks again.

simple answer is you can do it with an 8x56 however getting a good variable makes both the job easier and the identification a lot simpler. You're still looking at a very small target under the lamp at 8x. Since swapping mine for a decent variable swaro I'd never go back for foxing. Don't bother dialling in or mucking about but having the ability to increase the mag makes a lot of difference when they are out there a bit.