Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help me decide, cz 455 hmr or howa 1500 .243

help me decide, cz 455 hmr or howa 1500 .243

hi folks, hoping people will give me some advise. i had my heart set on a cz 455 varmint laminated thumbhole in .17 hmr for targets and vermin, i planned to use this and then get a howa 1500 in .243 for foxing and long range targets. the problem is i can only buy one. the cz is 450 with 16" barell and screwcut etc, the howa is a pepper laminated thumbhole varmint model with predator 8 moderator and scope for 1000. the land outside my house has been granted for using a hmr and would be a great tool for the crows but im not so sure that i would be happy using one on it as there is only a couple of acres with houses near by, this means i would have to go up the hills were i have permssion to 600 acres of land. if i take the hmr up there then the wind might stop me from hitting anything dedent at 100-150 yards. that makes the .243 the better option but at 1 per round maybe its 2 expensive for target shooting when im not hunting.
    any help would be great

The thing is these 2 calibres are worlds apart from each other, so it totally depends on what your going to shoot the most of ? Deer and foxes - .243. Crows, rabbits and the odd fox then .17HMR.

Simple really. You might get vermin on your FAC for the .243 but it depends which constabulary you come under, if they won't allow vermin then is there much point getting the .243 for YOUR purposes, similarly if your wanting to shoot deer, you can't use the .17HMR.

As an aside, if you've got houses round your 2 acres, I'd probably give it a miss shooting there all together, unless you have a moderated shotgun ?

Tom

If it's an option build yourself a high seat covering the best arc of fire on your two acres, anything over 11 feet at the rail would be ok.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaines View Post
    The thing is these 2 calibres are worlds apart from each other, so it totally depends on what your going to shoot the most of ? Deer and foxes - .243. Crows, rabbits and the odd fox then .17HMR.

Simple really. You might get vermin on your FAC for the .243 but it depends which constabulary you come under, if they won't allow vermin then is there much point getting the .243 for YOUR purposes, similarly if your wanting to shoot deer, you can't use the .17HMR.

As an aside, if you've got houses round your 2 acres, I'd probably give it a miss shooting there all together, unless you have a moderated shotgun ?

Tom
    yes i agree they are totaly different, its mainly for crows and target shooting and also for the occasional fox, if it wasn't for the windy conditions up on the hill i would stick with the hmr but i have a bad feeling that the wind will drift the bullet big time.

hi have you ever reloaded.I have gone for a 22 hornet cz 527 reload hornet same as 17 hmr it will do fox to 200y crow and sub inch target work. Better in wind .I would give one a try.

Since your north of the border have you thought about something along the lines of .223 or .22-250 ? Both are deer, fox and vermin legal ! Also much better wind bucking ability than the .17HMR. If they've authorised you for .243 either of these should be a simple variation.

Tom

buy both.

all my guns except my air rifle have been second hand. if youve got 1000 to spare you should get yourself kitted up with both

Quote Originally Posted by ian 243 View Post
    hi have you ever reloaded.I have gone for a 22 hornet cz 527 reload hornet same as 17 hmr it will do fox to 200y crow and sub inch target work. Better in wind .I would give one a try.
    x2~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaines View Post
    Since your north of the border have you thought about something along the lines of .223 or .22-250 ? Both are deer, fox and vermin legal ! Also much better wind bucking ability than the .17HMR. If they've authorised you for .243 either of these should be a simple variation.

Tom
    how much the ammo for the .223 and 22-250 compared to hmr ammo? i have a .243 on my ticket so i should easily be able to get a variation. cheers

Go for a .223 Rem, Howa HB Stainless is good or Sporter if you are covering a lot of ground, military ammo is about 30p a round compared to 17HMR at I suspect around 26p in you neck of the woods - 223 52gr A Max bullets about 22 per 100. Consider reloading for the 223, other cheap option is to pick up a Lee or similar inexpensive press, 223 dies and a collect bullet puller.
    Buy Military ammo (there is some excellent RWS available from York Guns), pull FMJ bullets and seat soft points, (no balance/ powder measure required) and if you use the same weight they should group pretty close to the Military Ammo.
    When I first statrted stalking I used 7.62 RG with Norma SP Bullets, 50 rounds lasted me 4 years stalking, of course RG was only 10p a round then !
    Talk to your FLO your primary reason to acquire shold be Deer Stalking, but they should allow vermin as well on the same calibre up in Scotland that is commonplace.
    cheers FlyBoy270