Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: 303 & 308

  1. #1

    303 & 308

    I have a proven load i use for both 303 & 308 cals. One download is for plinking ,sub 100yds, the other full power 300yds +

    From a quick burn 10gr to a medium burn 42gr, but nothing inbetween for hunts ..say fox or deer 100yds. Can anyone suggest a proven load they use , with a reasonable grouping, say half way point. (ie 20/22 gr) both cals.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by MrYou View Post
    I have a proven load i use for both 303 & 308 cals. One download is for plinking ,sub 100yds, the other full power 300yds +

    From a quick burn 10gr to a medium burn 42gr, but nothing inbetween for hunts ..say fox or deer 100yds. Can anyone suggest a proven load they use , with a reasonable grouping, say half way point. (ie 20/22 gr) both cals.

    Thanks
    I shoot loads from all across the power spectrum in both calibers but if you have a velocity requirement, the amount of powder you specify might be tough. What weight bullets? What powder do you have on hand?~Muir

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I shoot loads from all across the power spectrum in both calibers but if you have a velocity requirement, the amount of powder you specify might be tough. What weight bullets? What powder do you have on hand?~Muir
    The load doent need to be (ie 20-22gr) , im tryng to save powder over the haul, 'why have a maxed load , when i dont need it' Hopefully !

    Powders At hand Vit 110/20/33/40/160 & red dot

    Heads
    cal 303- 100/125/168
    cal 308-85/100/125/150

    If i can get a reduced knock down load, to say 100/150yds. Thats job done. Atb
    Last edited by MrYou; 17-06-2011 at 09:40.

  4. #4
    I would grab some H-4895. You can safely load it down to 60% of listed maximum without any performance problems; in fact, accuracy is typically good. It is my favorite mid range powder. I have no velocity requirements so if I load a 210 grain cast bullet at 1900 fps and shoot deer no one raises an eyebrow. You must have the same latitude??~Muir

  5. #5
    I use 14.5 grs of 2400 in the 303 and the 308 for range work out to 100yards you could go up to about 19 grs of 2400 for both for longer range and more power etc. I use vit 140 38-39grs over 150- 174 gr jacketed bullets as a good staring point for both the .303 and the .308 just have to find there sweet point. my .303 is 113 years old so i dont like to feed it any thing too hot!.

    bob
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

  6. #6
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned cast boolits (as opposed to jacketed bullets). I make and sell all sorts that shoot well with NO leading up to 2400 fps. Much cheaper and easier on the rifle and the pocket.
    115gr cast boolit, not gas check and 4 grains of Viht 310 pistol powder. You cannot get cheaper than that and very accurate too.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned cast boolits (as opposed to jacketed bullets). I make and sell all sorts that shoot well with NO leading up to 2400 fps. Much cheaper and easier on the rifle and the pocket.
    115gr cast boolit, not gas check and 4 grains of Viht 310 pistol powder. You cannot get cheaper than that and very accurate too.
    Hey! Cast BULLETS are all I shoot from 95% of my 303's~Muir

  8. #8
    Just a thought, why don't you use heavier bullets? That would save on the amount of powder you use, lessen meat damage and extend your barrel life. The 303 original weights were 215gr and they shoot well and the 308 had 168gr in mind.

    As for loads, the idea of a 'proven load' is that it is proven for your rifle. I have seldom seen a proven load fare well in another rifle, even the same model from the same factory. Factory loads are a compromise and sometimes work really well in certain rifles but not as well in others.

  9. #9
    Heres a nice one for

    308 - 26gr vit 120 / 150gr s/p head, good for 2" group @100 & field use @ 80/120 yds & 'tested' (firm fit heads)

    303 -12gr/ 50yds (1" group)-19 gr (100yds) vit 110 for range use, 100gr heads. both- 2.5" group (again firm fit 32 cal pistol heads)
    Last edited by MrYou; 07-07-2011 at 12:46.

  10. #10
    I have quite a good reduced load for 303 using 115grn JSP bullets originally made for the 32-20. I don't have the details to hand at the moment, so I'll not put the charge weight down as I'm unsure of it. The load uses H4198 powder and achieves about 2400fps. I think it needs a bit more playing with, but I can get 1"-1 1/2" groups at 50m. Recoil and report are very pleasant.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale Lee Precision Reloading Dies 22-250 & 303 British & Sizer
    By Yorric in forum Reloading
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 21-02-2013, 10:06
  2. For Sale Sako 85 .308 Laminate Rifle & Jet Z Mod & Mounts & Bi pod
    By Realtree in forum Firearms
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-01-2011, 20:03
  3. 308/303
    By MrYou in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-05-2010, 11:08
  4. For Sale Rg 308 & 223
    By rodkayak in forum Reloading
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17-05-2010, 21:41
  5. which 308 & mod for my budget
    By weeman in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 24-07-2009, 21:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •