Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you fit a rail to hang deer in a coke fridge?

How do you fit a rail to hang deer in a coke fridge?

I have a coke style fridge that fits a large fallow buck now probs, in the past I have done something to allow hanging in it so that's how i know it is big enough, but I am sure there is an easier way.

Just wondered how anyone else on here has converted one from drinks fridge to game chiller i.e. how do you hang them in it as there are naturally no attachment points. Whatever goes in needs ot make the most of the height to hang a fallow.

Pics would help visualise what you have done! Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by stalker.308; 16-06-2011 at 21:11.

Drill through the centre of the top if a single door into the compartment above which holds the light fitting for the display sign.
    you will have to take out the display panel at the top to get access the cut a lenght of 3x2 to fit the gap then either drill through it to take a hook if it is a bolt on type or just screw a hook into it if it is threaded.
    This will support a fallow without having to cut into the sides and the hooks are readily available from diy stores.
    If its a double fridge then just fit more hooks accordingly.

I have put a 22mm pole through from 1 side to the other with a flat plate secured with self tappers on the end so i can use it to hang all sorts of game not just deer and with it only 10mm from the top i havn't lost much height and can also hang side by side depending on size.
    PS i also kept the shelves as these are usefull for chilling down birds as air circulates through them.
    Last edited by CWMMAN3738; 16-06-2011 at 21:40.

I have puzzled over this one too. The latest idea is to take out all the shelves and I have got a single steel rod that is longer than the fridge is wide. The steel rod slots into the slot for the top shelf. For a roe deer I just hang the gambrel from the rod. For a larger deer I would just use the rod itself as the gambrel.

Clear as mud I think, but I didn't take a photo. Apologies JCS.
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 16-06-2011 at 22:02. Reason: The photo shows the first attempt. Take two with the steel bar hasn't been photographed yet.

My current (mark one) arrangement is similar to yours Jcam... except I cut a length of pipe to snugly fit across the width of the fridge and sat it on top of the shelf. I then hang the beast from that. It works ok and stops the shelf bending like the one in your photo.
    I'm planning to do a better more permanent job soon to make it a propper job.

Ian

Aluminium dropout plate one ethier side of fridge secured by screws

and a piece of tube the desired diametre and length to suit (simple and effective).

Rgds, Buck.

P.S if your a perfectionist the plate can be circular.
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 16-06-2011 at 22:17.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Get a piece of stainless or galvanised tube of about 25-40mm and a hole cutter to suit same size.Cut hole through both sides of chiller and insert tube so it protrudes about an inch either side externally and has enough clearance above for the type of hooks you intend to use. Silicone seal all gaps and pin through the tube at each end if required, but you shouldn't need to as the silicone will hold it firm. The best way to hang a larger animal is by the pelvis or 'H' bone with a big 'S' hook, as it allows the back legs to fold down and can give you about another 18" of height with a larger animal!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    I have puzzled over this one too. The latest idea is to take out all the shelves and I have got a single steel rod that is longer than the fridge is wide. The steel rod slots into the slot for the top shelf. For a roe deer I just hang the gambrel from the rod. For a larger deer I would just use the rod itself as the gambrel.

Clear as mud I think, but I didn't take a photo. Apologies JCS.
    +1 mine not a coke fridge but similar s hooks from rail to gambrel

on my double one so as not to go through insulation I had tall triangles in stainless with V on top (bit like shooting sticks)and then 1inch tube across top.as hanging rail can put shelves back in without problem or mark on fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Get a piece of stainless or galvanised tube of about 25-40mm and a hole cutter to suit same size.Cut hole through both sides of chiller and insert tube so it protrudes about an inch either side externally and has enough clearance above for the type of hooks you intend to use. Silicone seal all gaps and pin through the tube at each end if required, but you shouldn't need to as the silicone will hold it firm. The best way to hang a larger animal is by the pelvis or 'H' bone with a big 'S' hook, as it allows the back legs to fold down and can give you about another 18" of height with a larger animal!
    MS
    Thats all I did with mine, works a treat. shouldve used smaller diameter, 25mm best, as hooks would fit over better