Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .22 short

.22 short

Does anyone have experience of using .22 short cartridges in their .22lr ?.

The reason I ask is that I am taking squirrels with my 12ft/lbs air rifle but could do with a little more power sometimes. The .22lr round is obviously too powerful to fire up into trees,besides,I need something quiet.

I don't want to go down the fac airgun road and I was wondering if the short cartridge would be a good compromise?.

fraser

try a box,

I found them none too accurate, but ok over short range.

Hello mate ,I remember reading a bruce potts article in the ST and him talking about CB rounds,they looked like a short cased .22 round and the typical application for these was in and around the farmyard after rats,anyway how are you,lee

dont think 22 short and CB (conical ball) rounds are the same.
    I have tried both.
    I tried some CBLong (which tend to be the ones quoted) to see if they were quieter.
    They are OK not that much quiter than Win Subs but I would still not want to fire any solid lead rimfire round into trees without 400 acres on uninhabited land in every direction.
    I assume your squizzers are tree bound?
    you either need to go frangible or FAC air IMO

there was a chap asking about rimfire for rooks with a similar idea.

solids just go to far whether they are spinning end over end or just passing through the trees

try a 410 , i have a modorated pump action its just the job for sqirrels but i usually run traps near my pheasant hoppers then poison bait hoppers while their in season that sorts them out

Bewsher...you are probably right re firing solids, maybe the new cci frangibles would be worth a try.
    Yes, the little sods are treebound except when they are pinching the hens eggs. I've hit the odd one in the rump end unfortunately and while 12ft/lbs is fine for chest and head shots it isn't really enough there. As someone on here said recently "you can't get too much dead but you can get not enough dead", well put I thought.

Hi Lee.. yes getting on ok thanks, glad you survived the course,one week down and one to go.Hope you receive the dsc1 stuff tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    try a 410 , i have a modorated pump action its just the job for sqirrels but i usually run traps near my pheasant hoppers then poison bait hoppers while their in season that sorts them out
    I've been thinking about one of those little belgian or spanish single barrel .410's, they sell for about 100. Should be better at firing through a little foliage too. Never mind the sniping,just do a little blasting

+ 1 for a .410 moderated shottie. Great for vermination around the shot and buildings with subsonic loads and good fun to boot when shooting clays!
    I don't think frangibles are the answer - they won't break up till they hit something!

I use a FAC air rifle (27ftlbs) on squirrels, head shots with 12ftlbs otherwise they run.
    Two squirrels = one pie

CB longs have poor trajectory and did not zero at all in my gun.

I shoot a lot of shorts and have killed squirrels, rabbits and pigeons with them. Not as accurate as LR in a LR chamber, but they are accurate in their own right. I put 28 shots (a full magazine) into an inch at 25M from my Marlin 39A lever gun. CB shorts and CB longs are the same, ballistically, just a different case to facilitate feeding. Shorts are generally higher velocity with the same 29 grain bullet.~Muir