A good year for orchids.

longlowdog

Anyone else finding it is a bumper year for orchids? Over one hundred in our woods and know of a place nearby with many more. Perhaps the early spring had been kind to them.
As an aside does anyone know what management of coarse grassy woodland margins would help me promote even more orchids?

We have an area of woodland which is always inclined to be damp under foot, there is a variety of orchids in great numbers and it's not grazed at all, long grass. However this does not seem to be a problem for them. Where the grass is shorter the orchids are shorter, and where the grass is long the orchids are longer. However for the first time I have an orchid in my lawn.

We have an area of woodland which is always inclined to be damp under foot, there is a variety of orchids in great numbers and it's not grazed at all, long grass. However this does not seem to be a problem for them. Where the grass is shorter the orchids are shorter, and where the grass is long the orchids are longer. However for the first time I have an orchid in my lawn.

I too have many orchids on one of my grounds near to Alford. They are to be found on a rather rough area with large tussocks of grass and is always wet. Equally, I have lots of wild garlic and this year when in bloom in May the scent was intoxicating, much more so than in the past.

Interesting I own a site of County significance in Suffolk - 5 acres in total and this has been the worse year ever for the Orchids - no marsh or lesser spotted a few bee and a greatly reduced number of Pyramidal

Vap

Vapours,
what has your weather been like? We had a hot spring but have had enough rain since to keep our countryside verdant green, although a late frost killed the opening apical buds on oak and ash and have forced regrowth buds to form on the branches after burning the first buds off.

Hi,

I'm in Suffolk and it has been as dry as a bone for the last 2 months. Only decent rain has been for the last few days. The Apple trees are very poor, most of the blossom failed to set and the ground has cracks in it I can slide my hand into. Local crops are already turning and the yield looks very low. Definatly not looking good around here.

Vap

I have a feild 20y from my front door and there are many thousands of wild Orchids which were never seen there before and i wonder how they spread so widely?

Back