Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another bullet related question!

Another bullet related question!

Hey guys and girls. Prompted by the other bullet posts, I'm after your views on what bullets I should be selecting for my new rifle. It's a 7-08.

Now, what I'm after is something that puts the Deer on the ground, so perhaps mushrooms quiet well, but that doesn't drop many (if any) fragments in the carcass. I'll be shooting mainly Roe and Muntjac and the budget is open ended. I will be home loading. No bullet costs so much that it's too expensive to shoot a Deer with. I'd rather pay a 50p premium and save a shoulder!

I used to use Barnes TSX in my 6.5x55 and really got on well with them but have heard rumours from people who have shot more Deer than I have that now and again they just don't open up? Not ideal! So I'm looking around for other options. The TSX I found would even go through a shoulder and not ruin all of it - that's pretty good performance!

What's out there? I like the sound of the Nosler Partition or perhaps the Accubond. I want to avoid soft points at the cheaper end of the scale because I have found them to shed quite a lot of weight and do a bit of splinter damage on exit in the .243, the 6.5x55 and the .375H&H.

A chat about your experiences would be very helpful. I'd appreciate hearing how you all get on with various bullets, and what you decided to use.

I like these - http://www.hornady.com/store/7mm-.284-139-gr-SP/

I use the 129 gr equivalent in my 260 Rem and would use the same in 7mm-08 if I had one. I did set out to buy a 7mm08, but bought a 260 Rem instead. I very rarely recover bullets, but I did recover one of these recently and it was nicely mushroomed with 90% weight retention. As has been commented on earlier posts, a key factor is what is available on the shelf. I have used the 129 gr SSTs too, but haven't recovered any of them. I have tried the 130 gr Sciroccos, but couldn't get a consistent load.

I mostly shoot roe, but last year these 129 SPs accounted for a number of sika stags too.

Good luck. JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 18-06-2011 at 19:09. Reason: more info.

Thanks JCS. I looked them up - not too expensive which is a bonus! I'm always happy to pay for quality but if there's something out there that will do a good job for less it's daft not to use them!

Strangely I headed out looking for a .260 Rem. At the moment there's nothing cheap about but I stumbled across a Tikka M595 Deluxe with less than 200 rounds down it in 7-08. It's even screwcut the same thread as a new .223 I've ordered so I can use the same mod on both until I can budget for a .22 specific one. I always wanted a 595, so that was that decided!

I'll check out what my RFD has the next time I'm there. He's a good bloke and will happily pop a box of anything I want to try on his next order so even if they're not in they could be picked up easily.

Try Nosler accubonds always found them to be very accurate and hołd together well.

If you like the barnes tsx why not try the BT version, i'm using them at the moment in the .270 and they
    are very effective.

Atb
    Moses

I did look at the Barnes TTSX. They look interesting and would suit my big following of their bullets.

As with most things shooting related though it's very hard/expensive to try everything. I'm hoping I'll get a few replies from various people on here just to see if there's a trend leaning towards a particular bullet. There are a lot of experienced stalkers here so the combined knowledge is vast! I have to say, in past converstaions both here and on other forums, the Nosler Accubonds seem popular as do the Hornady Interlocks. There's very little said about the TSX, perhaps due to their very premium price?!

Have been using 140gr Nosler partitions for over 10 years in 7mm08, quite pricey but definately worth it. Also use 175's for pigs and deer when I've got a batch loaded up. Both put deer down with perfect 50p size exit holes no matter where you hit em - shoulder, chest or neck. Can PM you the loads for Varget if you want em.

Tom
    Last edited by tjwaines; 18-06-2011 at 20:58.

Thanks for the info Tom, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
    Hey guys and girls. Prompted by the other bullet posts, I'm after your views on what bullets I should be selecting for my new rifle. It's a 7-08.

Now, what I'm after is something that puts the Deer on the ground, so perhaps mushrooms quiet well, but that doesn't drop many (if any) fragments in the carcass. I'll be shooting mainly Roe and Muntjac and the budget is open ended. I will be home loading. No bullet costs so much that it's too expensive to shoot a Deer with. I'd rather pay a 50p premium and save a shoulder!

I used to use Barnes TSX in my 6.5x55 and really got on well with them but have heard rumours from people who have shot more Deer than I have that now and again they just don't open up? Not ideal! So I'm looking around for other options. The TSX I found would even go through a shoulder and not ruin all of it - that's pretty good performance!

What's out there? I like the sound of the Nosler Partition or perhaps the Accubond. I want to avoid soft points at the cheaper end of the scale because I have found them to shed quite a lot of weight and do a bit of splinter damage on exit in the .243, the 6.5x55 and the .375H&H.

A chat about your experiences would be very helpful. I'd appreciate hearing how you all get on with various bullets, and what you decided to use.
    IMHO - forget about partitions and accubonds, too high penetration efficiency for Roe and Muntjac, and due to that you MAY have more runners than you'd ideally like, so not great for woodland or woodland edges, nor for head or neck shots. Also, they are far too expensive for a bullet designed for such thin-skinned game.

If you want a nice mushroom and little fragmentation, go with a quality Soft Point. The best SP I have ever shot is the Norma. I know they are not the norm for reloading, but there are many great alternatives out there.

Go for a quality Soft Point that's well shaped for a reasonably high BC, and which is well priced and easy enough to consistently procure. Maybe Sierra gameking SP or prohunters?

I shoot Winchester Power Point heads in both 6mm (243) & 30 cal. (308 & 30-06) Cheap as chips (bought in bulk many years ago from Howitzer Products near Oxford) they mushroom nicely - They don't break up too much & shoot as tight a group as the most expensive bullets.
    I also think that for realistic hunting ranges a round nose bullet has its merits over a more pointed design because the short nose is structurally stronger than a narrow pointed one, therefore it is less prone to breaking off on impact. It won't deflect as easily as a pointed head when hitting twigs or grass as well as inside the beast. So if it isn't deflected it is more likely to mushroom than if it is tumbling.

Its only my experience with 7mm bullets running through my 7-08 and obviously my views.. I started out with interbonds, which are hornady equivalent to nosler accubonds. These provided great accuracy, good BC but didnt expand on roe at ranges from 40 - 140yds, the interbonds are also expensive at around 60 a box. I then tried SSTs, which are half the price pretty much. These werent as accurate as the interbonds but dropped deer well. the down side was meat damage, even if they dont hit the ribs. Great bullet for varminting i found and if you arent bothered about carcass damage. Sierra GKs are very good, cheap and work well on roe. they expand but dont seem to give lots of meat damage. I also found that their accuracy was OK, on par with the SSTs. Im now settled on the Berger VLDs. Theyre averagely priced, slightly more than the SSTs but less than interbonds. theyre super accurate and expand in a very similar manner to SSTs, not quite as bad though. Ive not had a VLD not expand on me yet, even with 30yd neck shots.

Out of all my experiences i would strongly recommend sierra GKs, Hornady BTSPs (think theyre interlocks?) or Berger VLDs if your using the rounds for long range targets etc..

All the experience above has been in the 130-140gn weight category.. hope this helps.