Thread: Solitary Hind

Solitary Hind

One of my permissions has a solitary hind and there are no other deer for probably 10 miles in any direction. Is this normal ?

Quote Originally Posted by Straightliner View Post
    One of my permissions has a solitary hind and there are no other deer for probably 10 miles in any direction. Is this normal ?
    I've got two at the moment and it's been a regular occurrance on other grounds I've had in the past with woodland/lowland reds on.

It's that time of year when some will be seeking a bit of privacy for calving, has she got one there somewhere, although some seem to travel a bit further than others. I've also had a single yeld hind that set up in a wood on her own all last summer. I presume she just didn't fit in with the social hierachy of the group she must have started out with, which was only about a mile away.

Not unusual Straightliner...A Red stag (I take it it's a red) will travel 15 miles in a single night and as Orion said she is probably with calf. A hind will normally get well away from any other group during calving. My advice is to leave the rifle at home and get out photostalking with the camera.
    The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple

Great, thanks chaps Canon instead of Cannon. I'll see if I can get any decent photos although I have only ever seen her after midnight