How to make a doe box out of two 1000lt plastic containers.

Thar

I said I would do a step by step guide on how to make a doe box from a 1000lt plastic IBC container. So here goes.

The first thing I do remove the plastic container from its metal cage, a cordless drill is a aid with getting this done quickly.
P1010353.jpg

P1010354.jpg

I keep all the self tapping bolts and screws these will be used latter.
P1010357.jpg

The plastic cuts easily with a wood saw, I use a circler saw and a jig saw. I make what would be the bottom of the container the top of the box, I leave about 3” round the top for a rail to lean your rifle on, the tap that would normally allow you to drain the fluid from the container is cut out and this side of the container become the back of the doe box. I make the access hole in the back 2 feet wide.
P1010362.jpg

What was the top with the big screw cap filler is now the bottom I cut out the filler cap and leave about 6” round the edge.
P1010363.jpg

Next the second container is cut in half; the two sides make two roofs for two boxes. I then cut a 2 pieces of wood about 4”X ½ X 8” but you can use what you might have about old pallet wood etc. The roof is screwed to the base with a couple of the self tapping screws you saved from stripping the container down, You will need some “6mm/1/4 penny washers” you can buy these off e-bay. The wood goes on the back to spread the load.
P1010442.jpg

P1010438.jpg

You can now cut the roof to match the access door in the base.
P1010440.jpg

I then cut another 2 pieces of wood about 4”X ½ X 2ft these using more of the saved screws are utilized to fasten the base to a pallet for a floor for the box.
P1010441.jpg

I reused the plastic feet and screwed these to the metal cage, this should stop the metal corroding which would happen if it was placed just on the ground.
P1010356.jpg

I used the plastic pallet that the IBC came on for the floor, in this case this was screwed to the top of the metal cage using more saved screws.
P1010360.jpg

Once the box is on the top of the cage it gives you a bit of hight, you will have 3 cages so you can make one box on the floor and a second 12ft high by bolting 3 cages together or have one 4ft of the ground and one 8ft.
P1010444.jpg

A coat of paint to finish and make it blend in, you now have a maintenance free high seat or doe box, I usually put a swivel computer chair in mine.

ATB

Tahr

Last edited:
Thats fantastic. Hope your ready for all the questions. Can i start with one. Where and how much are the tanks. Ok i know thats two questions:)

Regards pj

Open front and back probably not, I've got some lying around the estate, would be ideal in a couple of places in some bushy scrub-land I've got.;) deerwarden.

What a super idea! I want some of these! Although the plastic will act like a drum and be noisy if you knock it. It might be an idea to line a couple of strategic areas inside with carpet or van liner to make it quieter.

Ian

I get my IBCs though work, although you can buy them off e-bay for £25 each.

No problem up here getting too hot Basel, keeping the rain off is the name of the game in SW Scotland, seriously getting hot is not a problem.

Carpet inside would help keep the noise down.

They are 39”X48” standard pallet size. Plenty of space for one and your dog, but not really big enough for a rifle and guide.

ATB

Tahr

You need to peg them down against the wind and so they dont tip back while you get in and use the right paint or they flake badley and look awfull

I said I would do a step by step guide on how to make a doe box from a 1000lt plastic IBC container. So here goes.

The first thing I do remove the plastic container from its metal cage, a cordless drill is a aid with getting this done quickly.
P1010353.jpg

P1010354.jpg

I keep all the self tapping bolts and screws these will be used latter.
P1010357.jpg

The plastic cuts easily with a wood saw, I use a circler saw and a jig saw. I make what would be the bottom of the container the top of the box, I leave about 3” round the top for a rail to lean your rifle on, the tap that would normally allow you to drain the fluid from the container is cut out and this side of the container become the back of the doe box. I make the access hole in the back 2 feet wide.
P1010362.jpg

What was the top with the big screw cap filler is now the bottom I cut out the filler cap and leave about 6” round the edge.
P1010363.jpg

Next the second container is cut in half; the two sides make two roofs for two boxes. I then cut a 2 pieces of wood about 4”X ½ X 8” but you can use what you might have about old pallet wood etc. The roof is screwed to the base with a couple of the self tapping screws you saved from stripping the container down, You will need some “6mm/1/4 penny washers” you can buy these off e-bay. The wood goes on the back to spread the load.
P1010442.jpg

P1010438.jpg

You can now cut the roof to match the access door in the base.
P1010440.jpg

I then cut another 2 pieces of wood about 4”X ½ X 2ft these using more of the saved screws are utilized to fasten the base to a pallet for a floor for the box.
P1010441.jpg

I reused the plastic feet and screwed these to the metal cage, this should stop the metal corroding which would happen if it was placed just on the ground.
P1010356.jpg

I used the plastic pallet that the IBC came on for the floor, in this case this was screwed to the top of the metal cage using more saved screws.
P1010360.jpg

Once the box is on the top of the cage it gives you a bit of hight, you will have 3 cages so you can make one box on the floor and a second 12ft high by bolting 3 cages together or have one 4ft of the ground and one 8ft.
P1010444.jpg

A coat of paint to finish and make it blend in, you now have a maintenance free high seat or doe box, I usually put a swivel computer chair in mine.

ATB

Tahr

Nice one matey.... Very nice.. Order in bound...:D

Nutty

Don"t forget that as they are made of the same material as car bumpers = Polypropylene you should flame the painting surface to release the esthers to get a keying surface on the plastic for the paint to adhere to otherwise the paint will just flake off from weathering effects.
I was Cayenne bumper engineer at Porsche so it is a fact.
Martin

Got 5 complete with cages if anybody wants them - in Wishaw - you uplift.

Regards

DavieH

I am away on holiday as from Friday can you wait till I get back.
You will need a big van for 3

DavieH

Back