Thread: Muntjac in northern ireland????

Muntjac in northern ireland????

Has the invasion started in the north .Im hearing storys off one shot in Co.Down and another knocked down by a car.Is there any truth does any one know????

Yes there is truth in this. Muntjac are definitely in Ireland (Ulster and ROI), probably given a helping hand by Ifor Williams

There was one legally (I believe) shot in Co. Down recently and there has also been at least one knocked down by a car in Co. Down.

There was one killed around Carrowdore last year. It was on BBC news.

Definitely some in a few small pockets around the place.

I have not heard of one being legally shot yet, but it is only a matter of time.

Talking to some guys from the Irish Deer Society at the Moira game fair, there are a fair few now down in south Wicklow and maybe Carlow and Wexford.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I see in the Points of View section of the BDS Deer Journal (pages 56/57) there is a photo taken of a Muntjac in a garden on the Ards peninsula. Definite proof if any more was needed!

I worked as a ranger in Peatlands Park in 2007, which is a 300acre raised bogland and deciduous woodland reserve. Apart from glimpsing 2 white fallow I had the joy of seeing the distinctive rear end of a muntjac running up a grassy track less than 10 yards from me. Turning 90degrees then a slipping into a rhododendron.

100% muntjac!

Roman, there have been persistent reports of Muntjac in Co Armagh for years. A friend of mine grows vegetables commercially and described one perfectly. This was in a field near the Birches, so very close to Peatlands Park. This was 8-9 years ago.

I have seen two photos from a trial cam showing muntjac in Co Down. One was in a garden as described above, the other was feeding at a pheasant feeder. The latter was shot a few days later by a well known stalker here.

I saw the deer that was was killed in Carrowdore. It has been full body mounted. It had definite scars on the forehead consistent with a muntjac that had been fighting for territory. Given it was killed on the road, I think we might guess it had been driven off by a bigger buck??
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

If you google map "Peatlands park, Dungannon", you will see the amount of pure untouched wilderness these wee rascals have to play in and stalker free.

Considering I saw 1 in broad daylight, it may be safe to assume they are beginning to establish.

1 was also caught in Shane's Castle, Antrim earlier this year, in a live fox trap of all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    If you google map "Peatlands park, Dungannon", you will see the amount of pure untouched wilderness these wee rascals have to play in and stalker free.

Considering I saw 1 in broad daylight, it may be safe to assume they are beginning to establish.

1 was also caught in Shane's Castle, Antrim earlier this year, in a live fox trap of all things.

My uncle owns a farm which backs onto Peatlands, called Derryane, i'll have to have a closer look when i'm next over.

Bds maps have them in there... For what it's worth.