Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Seat usage & construction course

High Seat usage & construction course

Hi Folks,

posted this else-where & thought it may be of interest!

There are many of you who use high-seats for deer & fox, & I am sure you all religiously check the condition of these before each season. Errrr, yeah!

Thing is, we have a duty of care and any seat erected has either got a regular inspection & report - or there is the high potential for problems.

Our laws mean that any person who hurts themselves, has a claim against the land-owner - irrespective of whether they had authority to be using the seat at the time. Accordingly, all you can do is attach warning signs & have an inspection report filed against the potential of an incident.

In the last five years or so, there have been a few outlets selling 'cheap' Chinese manufactured high-seats. They are cheap for a reason & may not stand up to prolonged exposure to our climate. Pity really, as that is what they are sold for!

The following pictures show what I discovered when replacing a five year old 'budget' seat on a new permission. Hidden by the camouflage netting, EVERY major load bearing joint had rotted from within, the seat literally falling to pieces when the support straps were removed! You can imagine the potential for serious injury!

Having quite a few seats across the country, I am definitely a fan of the robust construction and reasonable price of stands constructed of treated timber. They are not difficult to construct & I have a few favourite designs, dependent on whether a lean-to / free-stander / box-blind or low seat is needed on the ground

As a company, we run regular construction and usage courses (blatant plug ) which makes for a great day in the company of other shooters. The main benefit is that you come away with an understanding of the factors that affect the siting, construction and effective usage of high-seats for deer & fox control. You also get full cutting lists for each of the different stands to allow you to construct your own as needed. A light-hearted stalkers shoot finishes an excellent day.

If this interests you, do get in touch & we can discuss some dates - in the meantime, check your high-seats!

Rgds

Ian

I think even my shapely figure wouldn't stand up to that kind of wear.

When is the next date for one of the courses Ian?

Hi Abu,

We normally get together names of those interested & try and hit on a date that suits the majority.

So, if anyone would like some more information, please get in touch & I'll send over a course program

Best wishes,

Ian.

Hi Ian, i may be Interested In doing the day with you, just for the fun of It really, please log my Interest and send me some details and should the dates fit In In I will come along...Many thanks...Mark

Ian your good mate all it takes is to keep an eye on your seat if it starts to go get it down or treat it metal or steel. i would suggest your rusty seat was left by some one who was no longer useing it and discarded it. PS how much will you pay me to build your highseats for you and then how much will i get charged to sit in the thing and aim at a boar. Are you really telling me that some people pay you for this .

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Ian your good mate all it takes is to keep an eye on your seat if it starts to go get it down or treat it metal or steel. i would suggest your rusty seat was left by some one who was no longer useing it and discarded it. PS how much will you pay me to build your highseats for you and then how much will i get charged to sit in the thing and aim at a boar. Are you really telling me that some people pay you for this .

WOW 6 pointer I think every thread I have ever seen, that you have commented on seams to negative. Ian seems to be offering people a chance to help people learn to construct high seats. A very valid skill to learn. He makes no mention of cost he just seams to want to know if there is any interest. So what if he is trying to make a living? give the guy a break. By the way you misspelt dyslexia on my introduction thread.

Ian I am interested in your course. please could you PM me some details, I could always do with more high seats.

Sorry Ian, it just seams that everyone seam's to be on the case of trade members.
    Last edited by Simjim33; 20-06-2011 at 20:25.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    PS how much will you pay me to build your highseats for you and then how much will i get charged to sit in the thing and aim at a boar. Are you really telling me that some people pay you for this .
    Hi Davie,

Yep, there are definitely a fair few folks who enjoy the chance to get together, 'talking stalking'!

I arrange a full day that deals with the things that need thought when putting together different styles of high seat. Most folks have a limited understanding of the legal responsibilities that erecting & using high-seats involve, & in today's climate of 'blame & claim', that can lead to big bills.

Being aware of the considerations regarding siting will make a huge difference to the usability & productivity of a seat - and also can avoid the need for future moves.

As to construction methods, well, I have a few favoured designs that go together swiftly, & are comfortable and stable in use. Most importantly, it gives you options that allow any ground to be shot safely & efficiently. Giving folks the basic idea along with designs & cutting lists, lets them develop variations that may suit them better - that's the joy of constructing your own seats.

Being constructed from treated wood, they can be easily repaired or extended if required, whilst they have the added benefit of being cheap to build and not attractive to scrap thieves.

As for how much the day costs - 75 for a full day, packed with entertainment, learning or refreshing your knowledge in the company of other stalkers, including your lunch, the day finishing with a light-hearted competition shoot from the high seats you have just constructed.

Most folks go home content they got value for their money!

Davie, anyone can teach themselves to drive but, having someone save you learning by mistakes is why Driving Instructors are still earning the big money!!

Speak soon!

Ian

75 for lunch and a highseat.
    Cheap as chips!!
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Would love to come but depends when and where especially when please could you pm me details when you get a mo.

Regards
    Chris

Your correct Sim Jim some times you read things that you feel compelled to write a reply some times positive some times not. A chance to get together and talk stalking and help build some one elses high seats( BASIL I THINK YOU WILL FIND THE HIGH SEAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE IAN WILL CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG ) seems to me a nice day out . We do it up here all the time and with regards legal just read the FC,s RULES ON HIGH SEATS. Ian i wish you well on this high seat build i know you have done it before and it has went down a storm . But for me building a high seat is a job any one can do with simple tool,s.
    SIM JIM33 I think you picking on my spelling will continue through every post if you wish it.
    Last edited by 6pointer; 22-06-2011 at 08:57.