Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spit Roasting - Inverness

Spit Roasting - Inverness

I've done something really really stupid...

I was at a wedding last Thursday and agreed to let the couple who's wedding we are attending this Saturday have the Roe Buck that was hanging up in my shed for there evening buffet meal. They were going to have a hog roast but due to budget restrictions dropped the thought. Anyway to rub salt into my wounds I also said I would sort out a spit and take care off everything.

I'm struggling to find a spit to borrow and don't have the time this week to make one. Has any one got one in my area they are willing to let me borrow?

Also what about cooking in a big pit? Does any one have any advice on this i.e. timings and whether or not it will even work? what to wrap the deer in etc?

Watched an episode of river cottage recently and Hugh was spit roasting a roe deer for a wedding, as there is very little fat I believe they covered the roe in lard or fat of some sort.

Hope that helps and good luck!
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Quote Originally Posted by Jonher View Post
    Watched an episode of river cottage recently and Hugh was spit roasting a roe deer for a wedding, as there is very little fat I believe they covered the roe in lard or fat of some sort.

Hope that helps and good luck!
    I've seen that too, that was a while back... Also seen Heston Blumenthal do it here:

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Can't supply you one, this was on here a month or so ago, might be of some use to you regarding cooking etc...

Good luck

>>HERE<<

If you need any more info, type "spit roast into" the SD search bar but not Google.........Not much cooking advice pops up there......

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Bit of a drive to collect it but i think my mate hires these machines
    out he is in Dumfries ,may be worth a call ,he may even be up that way
    Google Hog2Roast
    Zeiss Pro Stalker and Agent for Starlght Night Vision

Hi I cooked a roe deer under ground with hot rocks the New Zealand Mori way . A bit of work involved digging hole ect but tasted bloody good !
    Try googleing New Zealand HUNGI ( think thats how you spell it )

A friend of mine from France did this with a roe I gave him. Got some heavy duty wire and a couple of steel rods. Spread the dear flat between two pieces and roasted it all day over the fire, took him a good few hours and he basted it frequently all morning. I was very "heath robinson" but worked.

Quote Originally Posted by IanLuc View Post
    Hi I cooked a roe deer under ground with hot rocks the New Zealand Mori way . A bit of work involved digging hole ect but tasted bloody good !
    Try googleing New Zealand HUNGI ( think thats how you spell it )
    Hāngi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Heres a good thread about this https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?2949-spit-roasting-a-roe

Instead of wrapping in bacon, why not shoot a boar and put the roe inside for "2 game spit roast"......

Quote Originally Posted by maccer View Post
    Heres a good thread about this https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?2949-spit-roasting-a-roe

Instead of wrapping in bacon, why not shoot a boar and put the roe inside for "2 game spit roast"......
    On a serious note I could shoot a red and put the Roe inside, how long would it take to completely debone a whole deer?!?

I'm leaning towards cooking the deer like the Kiwi's, looks easier and should lock in the juices better, maybe.