Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 243 with named mentor

SD Regular

243 with named mentor

I have an open experienced ticket with .17hmr my higest , i have sent in a variation for 243 and its come back with a named mentor who has to be with me at all times whilst using the 243 , lancashire refuse to lift it untill he lets them know im a safe shot etc . The mentor that is named is the manager of a syndicate that im a member . Is this the norm or are lancashire having me over ?
    George wallace from the ngo has offered to take my case on but lancashire today refuse to put in writting there reasons , saying it was the only way and i have no rites for appeal .

They do it here in Suffolk also I've been a mentor for a few times now and for one guy I had to write two letters to the police, one for a .222 and one for a .243 even thou he was ex mod and is still involved with the cadets and has more shooting qualifications you could shake a stick at including being a qualified range officer.
    Never could understand why I was asked to mentor him twice especially with his C.V.

SD Regular
    It is becoming increasingly common across the constabularies. A load of 'cover my backside' going on, but it's not worth fighting it. The other way I have seen people get around it is to complete DSCL1 as that has a shooting and safety competency element.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

hi ,i,ve done dsc1 and passed and still had to have someone and i also had a letter from someone that i,d been shooting 308's and 22/250's for 20 yr.stav

17hmr 243 two very different calibres of rifles .even if your 17hmr is open. i had to mentor a firearms responce officer for a 243. i myself was mentoured for 222 and again on a 243 but not on my 308 ? 4 mths off of the mentouring all where opend and had my 22lr added for close quarter urban fox shooting . and surrey is not a easy place to get anything .mentouring can be as short as 6 weeks it depends on your mentor . as for doing your DSC1 for help i asked my fao about this his reply was if you dont mind wasteing money and gave out a giggle .i never did it or have i been requested for it .noel

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    ........ but it's not worth fighting it.
    If we don't then they will continue to take the p##s for as long as we are prepared to let them.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by shudadunityonksago View Post
    George wallace from the ngo has offered to take my case on but lancashire today refuse to put in writting there reasons , saying it was the only way and i have no rites for appeal .
    With respect, if George has offered to pursue the matter for you then what are you waiting for? You need to write to Lancs FLD Manager asking for the reasons for the mentoring as applied to you - not some blanket policy they operate - and give them a time limit for a written reply because, "I wish to consult with my shooting organisation". Send it by recorded delivery and if you don't get a reply back, or they try and fob you off with a verbal response, then write a letter of complaint to the Chief Constable.

It's up to you to take the initiative to get something done. If you accept it without question, as others appear to be more than willing to, then nothing will change. You are not asking for anything exceptional, just a reason for the condition and they must give you a reply - it's already been established that conditions must be:

o LAWFUL
    o UNAMBIGUOUS
    o WRITTEN IN PLAIN ENGLISH
    o REASONABLE
    o PROPORTIONATE
    o NON-CONTRADICTORY
    o DEMONSTRABLY BENEFICIAL TO THE PUBLIC SAFETY
    o PROPERLY NOTIFIED
    o EVIDENCED

Looks as if at least the one in bold above hasn't been complied with.

You can download further details on the BASC Fact Sheet from here: http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/...44064E62F3689D

Good luck with it.
    Last edited by Orion; 22-06-2011 at 10:09.

Orion, where did that list of tests for conditions? I'd say that number 7 would be hard to prove as well. Is that in the ACPO guidance?

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    Orion, where did that list of tests for conditions? I'd say that number 7 would be hard to prove as well. Is that in the ACPO guidance?
    Matt, it's within the BASC document 'Additional Conditions on Firearms Certificates - (Advice for Licensing Staff)'. You can link to from here: http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/...44064E62F3689D

It contains details of R v Cambridge Crown Court ex parte Buckland, 1998, which established the priciple of 'Wednesbury Reasonable' being applied to conditions imposed on FAC holders. Intesresting reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Matt, it's within the BASC document 'Additional Conditions on Firearms Certificates - (Advice for Licensing Staff)'. You can link to from here: http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/...44064E62F3689D

It contains details of R v Cambridge Crown Court ex parte Buckland, 1998, which established the priciple of 'Wednesbury Reasonable' being applied to conditions imposed on FAC holders. Intesresting reading.
    That link is not working ?