Thread: First Home Load Results for my 243

First Home Load Results for my 243

OK, have tested my first go at home loading the 243 today.

I had made up 5 batches of ammo, basic components were:

Hornady Vmax 75 Grain Bullet
    Federal Case
    Remington Primer
    Hodgdon 414 Powder

The first load started at 42 grains of powder and each batch increased by one grain up to 46 grains, the results of a 4 shot group for each are below. Shots taken prone at 100 yards of a Harris bipod and no bag.

(Note, the squares are one inch)

42 Grain Powder, the final shot to the right was entirely my fault and not down to the load, as soon as I pulled the trigger I knew it was a fluffed shot.

43 Grain, the top shot may be down to me so possibly should be discounted.

44 Grain, getting better.

45 Grain, seem to me to be the best.

46 Grain, things start to open up a little.

All cases looked fine after shooting and I think I am pretty pleased with the results of my first attempt at loading. 45 grain look to me to be the best.

Jerry

Jerry, get ye a good sandbag. I would not be surprised if the bipod led to a bit of vertical stringing, particularly if you are shooting of a hard surface.

Try .5 grain increments from 44-46 grains.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler
    Jerry, get ye a good sandbag. I would not be surprised if the bipod led to a bit of vertical stringing, particularly if you are shooting of a hard surface.

Try .5 grain increments from 44-46 grains.
    Yep, I have a bag now and will be trying them again. Also made up batches of 44, 44.5 and 45 to test next week.

That's a great example of how loads can start with large groups, move through a sweet spot and get large again.

If anyone was wondering how homeloads can be more accurate than factory ammo, there's the answer.

As CDab says, go off a sandbag and the groups will tighten even more.

Good job that.

home loads

44 and 45 grains look as near as dammit to me mate try a good bag as the boys say im out on the foxs to night with the 75 v max nice flat round and they dont run you wont go wrong with that set up . keep us informed how you get on .

Agree with what has been said, go for a few more loads, then once you have chosen your weight, vary the seating depth in 5 thou increments. That may tighten it up again. I would have said that the 44 gr was the best as it is 3 bullets touching with a possible drop on the single by yourself.

Good luck, and good shootin

I have made up a new set of batches this evening, will see how they go to see if I can get a consistant result.

I was out Tuesday night and did a bit more testing and results were similar, re zeroed the scope properly with the 44 grain load and then out with the lamp for charlie but they would not play ball, one came into 150 yards but would not stop so no shot.

Next week I hope to settle on a load, though this reloading ark is addictive!

Made this for you, it is not 100% accurate but very close
    i dont know the barrel lenght so i made it 60 cm
    i can send you some better pictures on email if you want them.

That is great, would love email pics so I can view them in detail, very many thanks indeed!

I think 60cm is spot on, not got the rifle to hand at the moment.

email is: jerry@shootingcommunity.co.uk

I can always be contacted through that site as well.

Again, thanks for taking the time!

Jerry

loads

jerry was out thur night on the foxs shot seven just one of those nights when it all goes right the longest 250 across a valley been shooting these loads the last six years and you wont get me changing . all the best pete .