Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New air rifle next door

New air rifle next door

My next door neighbour shouted over last night,"LOOK WHAT I GOT TODAY" brandishing a new Air rifle,he is 70plus manic depressive(drugs control it)
    He bought it at a cheapo shop in York said very slack attitude from shop assistant who asked for name and postcode.
    Anyway I went round he said he got it becouse of woody population eating his greens.
    would I like to try it.Had about 10 shots spread around an A4 sheet of paper two only in same area at 30ft having grown up with open V sights dont think it was driver error.
    he still said it was good enough for him to shoot woodies.
    what really worries me is he will now be spreading lead all over the place with anti shooting ex townies either side of us whare will police go if they get a call

What would you do????? do I preempt things buy call to police???

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by roedeerred View Post
    My next door neighbour shouted over last night,"LOOK WHAT I GOT TODAY" brandishing a new Air rifle,he is 70plus manic depressive(drugs control it)
    He bought it at a cheapo shop in York said very slack attitude from shop assistant who asked for name and postcode.
    Anyway I went round he said he got it becouse of woody population eating his greens.
    would I like to try it.Had about 10 shots spread around an A4 sheet of paper two only in same area at 30ft having grown up with open V sights dont think it was driver error.
    he still said it was good enough for him to shoot woodies.
    what really worries me is he will now be spreading lead all over the place with anti shooting ex townies either side of us whare will police go if they get a call

What would you do????? do I preempt things buy call to police???

I hope you don't mind my tuppence worth here. Firstly, is your neighbour likely to take safety instruction/advice from you?

If yes, I'd have a quiet word with him and if his actions are not properly thought out I'd try to lead him to that conclusion for himself.

I would strongly advise against "pre-emptive" action by calling the Police. I suspect they will hear it as... "FAC holder has issues with neighbour and guns are involved on both sides"... you really do not want to open that can of worms.

But this is just my own take on it... good luck whatever you decide.

Yes that is is the problem dont want to preempt anything by calling police ooh what can if worms that could open.
    No unfortunitly he is not the kind that will listen tried that last night he is the type who knows!!

Do you have any contact with this man's family. Depending on how well you may know them, what attitude they may take on what may be seen as your "interference" it could well be the way to avoid any future problem.
    I somewhat disagree with Tamus re if necessary and proper involving the Police. As a FAC holder you should very much be aware of firearm safety. If through whatever reason you honestly believe that safety is being compromised by your neighbours use/possession of this air rifle should you not alert the Police before something untoward occurs. "FAC holder neighbour is aware of a safety issue and does nothing"

Account Suspended
    [QUOTE=Gazza;231116].
    I somewhat disagree with Tamus re if necessary and proper involving the Police. QUOTE]

Well I know you're ex Polis yourself Gazza so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at you doubting my advice.

I also know it's good advice, though.

Having said the above, I agree... If a direct approach to the man hasn't worked a suitably tactful word with the family may help. Having said all of this, if the guy hasn't actually done anything amiss (yet)... be very circumspect in your own actions, you would not want to speak out of turn or cause any unecessary bad feeling.

Again, these are just my opinions, but they do come from experience... good luck and atb~Tom

Simple, mind your own business, unless of course he allows his shooting to endanger you.
    How would you feel if one of 'your anti shooting ex townies' pre-empted you with the police because you regularly put a rifle in the boot of your car?
    What is it with modern life that people feel the need to interfere because 'they know better'?

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    Simple, mind your own business, unless of course he allows his shooting to endanger you.
    How would you feel if one of 'your anti shooting ex townies' pre-empted you with the police because you regularly put a rifle in the boot of your car?
    What is it with modern life that people feel the need to interfere because 'they know better'?

And that's fair comment too. Busy-bodies are a real nuisance, they seldom (make that... almost never) know what they think they do and they cause all sorts of unecessary cr*p for everyone around them... in the, so-called, name of doing good.

If the character's Bipolar disorder has caused him to be in trouble with the law, he might be exempt from owning an airgun anyway.

Not at all doubting your advice Tamus but what I am saying is "If through whatever reason you honestly believe that safety is being compromised by your neighbours use/possession of this air rifle should you not alert the Police before something untoward occurs." I am not suggesting that the OP goes running to the Police for no just reason. The Op obviously already has concerns otherwise this thread would not exist.