Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: waiting for land check

waiting for land check

Hi managed to find some land and woods close to home i am waiting for land check to be carried out has anybody had land check refuse /turn down for 243 /308 and can you appeel if the FEO says the land is not safe for 243/308 there are plenty of back stops etc no footpath or walk ways its very quite and out of the way from roads etc

Been in the same situation.
    Land I have is clear for 22.250 but not .243 yet has deer on it.
    Friend with an open ticket could shoot yet I couldnt because of the 'cleared' condition on my license.
    Thankfully taken care of now.
    Is it lancs or Mersey police that will check the land?
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I wish that I could offer some words of wisdom but FEO's are a law unto themselves when it comes to land checks... A piece of land might look ok to one Officer but not to another, it really depends which one you get. It helps for you to be there when he carries out the check so that you can talk him through the backstops and safe vantage points, let him know that you are aware of any potential hazards like footpaths and dwellings.
    Having said that I was present when he checked my land which, even though I made it quite clear that I know every square foot like the back of my hand, (I have owned the land for 25yrs) it was subsequently refused even for 17hmr on the grounds that the leeds liverpool canal runs along it's length. Not a problem now as my ticket is open for 17 and 223 so I can shoot on it anyway, and when I get .243 opened in a few months I'll be using that too. So you see, there is no real logic to all of this and to add insult to injury there is no formal qualification for assessing land safe for shooting so the FEO's are about as qualified as you and I
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

thanks SI i just hope hes in a good mood when he drags him self down to chcek it out

it lancs more than likey it will be Roman .do you know him

Dealt with Mersey and Cheshire but not Lancs. Both where very reasonable and obviously experienced but full of contradictions.
    One piece of land was cleared for .22lr but I was told it wasnt suitable for .17hmr. When I posed the question to the firearms people they told me if it was cleared for .22 then calibres below this were also ok.
    Obviously I requested this 'clarification' in writing.........I have yet to receive it
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by DJC View Post
    Hi managed to find some land and woods close to home i am waiting for land check to be carried out has anybody had land check refuse /turn down for 243 /308 and can you appeel if the FEO says the land is not safe for 243/308 there are plenty of back stops etc no footpath or walk ways its very quite and out of the way from roads etc
    If the FEO arbitarily decides the land is not suitable for calibre X you can ask for the reasoning in writing. If you disagree then either challenge it yourself, or take it to your shooting organisation and get their help.

It is recommended in the HO Guidance, (you can download a copy from the sticky at the top of the Legal Issues section), that you be present when the inspection takes place. For the initial grant of a certificate it should be more about establishing 'good reason' and your level of safety than anything else - some FEOs seemm to think differently.

Here's the elevant section:

13.11 It is accepted that land is not
    intrinsically “safe” or “unsafe” and that any
    shooter will have to exercise a strong measure
    of discretion in deciding whether to shoot in
    particular circumstances. However, the police
    will wish to be satisfied as part of “good
    reason” that the land nominated is not clearly
    unsuitable for the types of firearms to be
    used. The land inspection is intended only as
    part of the process of verifying that a “good
    reason” exists.
    It should not normally be
    extended to other areas of land on which the
    applicant intends to shoot unless there is to
    be a condition restricting a new shooter to
    specified land only. An inspection, where it is
    required, may provide a good opportunity to
    confirm that the applicant understands the
    characteristics of the land and the best places
    to shoot safely on it. The applicant’s
    knowledge of safe shooting is also very
    important and they should therefore, where
    possible, be present when the inspection takes
    place.
    This will give applicants the opportunity
    to confirm that they are aware of any
    potential hazards and know that no shot must
    ever be fired from a rifle unless there is a safe
    backstop.
    Last edited by Orion; 22-06-2011 at 20:24.

I have a closed certificate issued by Merseyside. I enquired with the local constabulary in Scotland about the land I shoot and an officer called me today to say they do not issue closed certificates up there and do not check land but he knows the land I shoot and it is fine by him. He confirmed this via email and I checked with Merseyside and they say that is Ok by them. 2 points: 1 how stupid is that? 2 how long should I leave it before I apply for a variation to an open licence?
    Last edited by Lawiswar; 23-06-2011 at 06:34.

Before having all restrictions lifted I was told that I couldn't shoot .243 on a certain piece of land,but they changed their mind when I put a highseat up.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by re'M'ington View Post
    Before having all restrictions lifted I was told that I couldn't shoot .243 on a certain piece of land,but they changed their mind when I put a highseat up.

Martin
    Eh?

Have i read that right? You made your shooting 'safer' and they gave you jip for that?

WTF?

T