Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sako / Federal ammunition

Sako / Federal ammunition

This may be simply someone out of touch with company purchases / realignments. I was under the impression that Sako ammunition was produced in conjunction with Norma, however, I have just heard that in fact it is made by Federal.

For someone (or at least my rifles) that has always had a bias for European manufactured ammunition in the usual deer calibres, this is somewhat disconcerting when considering the purchase of a rifle calibre, namely a 25'06, which is not generally covered by the Eurpean ammunition manufacturers.

Whilst accepting that matching loads to rifles, ie homeloading is the true marksman's ethos, generally the purchase of factory ammunition has proved more than adequate to meet my requirements.

Are there any opinions on Federal vs Sako ammunition, for that matter I will throw Remington into the pot as well!??

Federal ammo

Gday,
    I have yet to find a home load that shots as well as the Federal ammo oout of the box for my 308.

Still working on it though.

my 22-250 hated 55gn softpoints but my 223, 243 and 308 love federal.

always my first choice and that of my stalking buddies.

norma is accepted as best but pricey, if you want European, try privi partizan, cheap and cheerful for stalking.

l have just been given 200 rnds of privi partizan in 243 because as my mate said they are not consistent and would not throw them at the deer let alone shoot at one, however hopefully the brass will be ok for the home loads so guess who will spending a couple of days pulling the rounds apart and recycling the brass.

l will try a few down the range first to see what there like but l do suspect that what my mate has said is true he does a lot of stalking.

Has anyone on here ever recycled privi brass? if so what is it like.

Fed ammo always good and my first choice for factory ammo and not bad brass for reloading the best brass l find for reloading is norma and the factory rounds are good but as said are pricey when l started stalking with my 308 norma was all l used mainly because it was the only factory rnd available along with the odd stockist of kynoch.

I'm using Sako 100grain, 243 ammo in my Tikka T3. Very good! It feels as though it was made for it.
    In my 6.5x55 Carl Gustaf, I use Federal, Lapua or Norma, in 120, 140 and 156. They are all fine.
    I have also brought a large quantity of Privi that is unsuitable for deer stalking (I know some people like it, I don't). I just use it down the range, six times a year to keep the Chief of Police off my back.

I have been told that Privi is crap for reloading, but again some people will say that its okay. I personally wouldn't like to try it.

Regular Poster
    [quote="monynut"]l have just been given 200 rnds of privi partizan in 243 because as my mate said they are not consistent and would not throw them at the deer let alone shoot at one, however hopefully the brass will be ok for the home loads so guess who will spending a couple of days pulling the rounds apart and recycling the brass."

PP ammo is basically brought in by Henry Krank but Tim Hannam has also imported some and specifically with the 243 I have found problems.
    The boxes that have far more white on them than the H Krank boxes are the ones I find far less consistent.

That being said until recently I have been very impressed with PP but some new stock does seem less well made than previous samples. Ie powder weights originally were better than US manufacturers on the rounds I pulled weighed tested etc and this was in a variety of cals. The bullets were equally excellent in weight with very small differences form min to max over a 25 sample pulled on 4 calls.

The failing - if it can be called that was the brass. The variation on weight from case to case was worse than Remington Federal and Winchester on those I weighed BUT the thickness of case throughout around circumference was better than any of the above. Brass ids made on the same machines as Lapua - PP were originally machine makers going into ammo production and sold Lapua and others their case making machinery. As far as I am concerned if you weigh and sort the brass you will find it as good as any. Brass varies more by chemical composition than quality of manufacture and on that basis alone why folk prefer Norma beats me.

The PP primers are also good but some people are finding them a little oversize and difficult to seat in some makes of case.

By the way all the ammo I tested on targets shot 1" or less at around 100yds and I tried 222, 223, 22-250 (50&55gn) 243, 6.5, 25-06, 270 and 308 (150 and 180gn) and as you will appreciate in a variety of rifles.

I am well impressed so do find out for yourself and dont listen to folk you haven’t even tested in one cal

I posted all the results on Gun trader quite a while back and since have had a PC crash which lost that data amongst much more.
    Hope this helps you.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by monynut
    l have just been given 200 rnds of privi partizan in 243 because as my mate said they are not consistent and would not throw them at the deer let alone shoot at one, however hopefully the brass will be ok for the home loads so guess who will spending a couple of days pulling the rounds apart and recycling the brass.

l will try a few down the range first to see what there like but l do suspect that what my mate has said is true he does a lot of stalking.

Has anyone on here ever recycled privi brass? if so what is it like.

Fed ammo always good and my first choice for factory ammo and not bad brass for reloading the best brass l find for reloading is norma and the factory rounds are good but as said are pricey when l started stalking with my 308 norma was all l used mainly because it was the only factory rnd available along with the odd stockist of kynoch.
    I have a Remington 700 in .243 and I have used Privi in the past and it didn't shoot well. I have done a afair bit to the rifle since so I have just bought a box to see how it goes always handy to have a box of cheap 100 grain if you dont have time for reloading. If I cant get it to shoot under 1MOA I wont use it. A mate of mine gets sub MOA in his 308 Reminington 700 with Privi. I have used Privi Brass to reload and managed one group of 1/4 MOA last month. A guy I shoot with from time to time has a Calum Ferguson (Consistantly good shot) and he rates the Privi Brass.

Dave

Im using privi brass in my 243 and with vectan powder, remmy mag primers and a 95grn sst Im getting 1/2" groups at about 3000fps. I used prvi factory rounds in my 308 and 243 and managed very good groups indeed. I tried it my 222 and got decent sized groups with it but I just didnt have the confidence in the round for long range bunny bashing. The shop which got it up for me now struggles to keep PP on the shelf in various calibres. Personally I think its the stigma of using cheap ammo similar to Baikal shotguns and cartridges!! The guns may not be finnished like a beratta but still shoot where they are pointed! And the shells well I used to love them they used to pack a punch!!!

cheers
    nutty

My Remington 710 will put 4 out of 5 Sako 90 grain soft points through a 1" circle at 135 yds. Worst ammo ever is Fiochi, with a 9"-12" flyer every 3rd -4th round and the cases expand so much you have to beat the gun up to get the empty ones out.

Re: Sako / Federal ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander
    This may be simply someone out of touch with company purchases / realignments. I was under the impression that Sako ammunition was produced in conjunction with Norma, however, I have just heard that in fact it is made by Federal.

For someone (or at least my rifles) that has always had a bias for European manufactured ammunition in the usual deer calibres, this is somewhat disconcerting when considering the purchase of a rifle calibre, namely a 25'06, which is not generally covered by the Eurpean ammunition manufacturers.

Whilst accepting that matching loads to rifles, ie homeloading is the true marksman's ethos, generally the purchase of factory ammunition has proved more than adequate to meet my requirements.

Are there any opinions on Federal vs Sako ammunition, for that matter I will throw Remington into the pot as well!??
    I find it hard to believe, who says so?
    So Federal will buy European Vit powder and load ?
    or is this just a recent thing?

I loved the sako 55gr sp for the 223, shot better than any other factory load.
    Only tried one 150gr sako 308 load which didn't work.

edi

sorry but I find this quite funny as I can recall a dealer telling me that on a factory visit to the Sako factory that he noticed a door open so as you do poked his head through it and saw loads of Federal boxes. It seems that Sako have been loading the Federal ammo for the European market for years.

Oh the Sako bods were abit annoyed that he saw this.