budget big game safri

Hi just joined today.
For the last 7 years I have hunted with the same outfitter in South Africa - Jakkalskuil Safari's in the North Karoo.
The outfitter name is Kobus De Villiers and he is very good, hence going back to him all the time.
As other messages have asked do you want a Trophy Hunt, if so he does Huntpacks, specific trophy animals at one conbimed price.
I have done 6 with him until last year and I did a Management Hunt and it was brilliant, that good I fly out on 19th July to take 25 animals over 6 days.
He can be contacted on karookobus@hotmail.com or jakkalskuilsafaris.com

Good luck

D Darstardly about summed it up.

Location is key, species preference dictates location and travelling time, (not to mention cost), trophy quality can have huge impact and then taxidermy etc.

I've lost track of the guys that want everything mounted when they are there and regret it later. May advice is shoot the cull stuff and go on a second safari because it really will be that much of a difference in cost.

Again like has been said a bunch of times, budget is a good idea but cheap always ends up being expensive...

Kiri

I just dont get this thread !
Why would any one want to go on the cheapest safari ever ?
I fully understand a budget.But you get what you pay for.
If you cant afford it ,save up for another year and go for quality.
My advice is the cheapest safari out there aint worth the time and energy !
Hope you find what your looking for.
cheers dan

No disrespect to anyone intended here.

There is no such thing as a cheap safari. Full on safari hunting without fences or even in areas that are massive 200,000 hectares fenced are not cheap anymore where good trophies are concerned.

However there are a number of agents, operators etc who are running hunts for culling plains game and to a certain extent also some dangerous game (ie cow Cape Buff)

The market in SA is flooded with cheap hunts on small ranches, so if you are interested then my advice is to make sure the agent, PH or operator you are going with knows his stuff and that you ask the appropraite questions and get the right answers in writing.

Even a cull hunt is a great deal of money for many folk, and thats without the air ticket.

Like everything in life you only get what you pay for, and also any trophy fee on any animal, the price is usually uplifted by the guide/PH as they put their percenatge on top as well.

Good luck

Sorry being late chiming in, but "Safari Costs" is one of my all time favorite topics, and I cannot resist adding (hopefully) something of value.

I have over a number of years compiled, and regularly updated, a database of Daily Rate and Trophy Fee costs as advertized on published Hunting Outfitter web sites. At the moment tere are 149 "variables" in the database, including things like the Hunting Outfitter company name, name of owners, date of pricelist, the actual URL and then a large number of trophy and non-trophy fees as published. My database now contains about 285 Hunting Outfitters from, mostly but not exclusively, South Africa.

Now it is easy to see that there is no logical way to post a 149 * 285 grid of costs and text in a readable format. But anyone really interested can simply send me an e-mail and I will reply with the summary statistics in a spreadsheet file attached.

Dick D and a few others show great insight into what the difference is between the cost vs. value for money spent on a safari. There is no cheap Safari! Very true words these!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

I had a fantastic time with Umlilo.........they give you what it says on the tin very good value all round I will be going back
Amberdog

EMcC,

I take your point however I did not want to be seen to be openly advertising by site admin as my trade member staus has lapsed for the moment and listing my packages would perhaps have raised a few eyebrows without paying to do so ;).

ATB

Hmm quite so!! especially as you are directly contacting members of the site. At £10 a month its not exactly going to break the bank, but helps us run this very succesful site.

There is NO such thing as a "Budget" safari... you do get cheap big game safaris but generally you get what you pay for..... Cull hunts - cant be called a Safari... bouncing arround on the back of a truck blasting anything that moves for three days may be some peoples idea of fun but it aint a Safari....

The average safari, weather it is one or two hunters in Africa will require.... 1. A tracker 2. A licensed profesional hunter 3. A reliable Vehicle , 4. Transport to and from the hunting area. 5. Food for the camp staff and hunters. 6. Accomadation for all.....and plenty more..... all this aint cheap ... we are US$ 400.00 per day +++ minimum 7 days..... that is without your trophy animals..... A good 10 day Safari is going to cost you US$10k with good animals and solid memories.....send me a PM and I will tell you how to do this cheaper, I may even have a few options for you........

Whose to say the friends bouncing about in the back of the truck if thats all they can afford arent going to have a good time, and your little list of 1 to 6 may well be included..

Sometimes your bang for your buck can be suprising..

Last edited:
There is NO such thing as a "Budget" safari... you do get cheap big game safaris but generally you get what you pay for..... Cull hunts - cant be called a Safari... bouncing arround on the back of a truck blasting anything that moves for three days may be some peoples idea of fun but it aint a Safari....

The average safari, weather it is one or two hunters in Africa will require.... 1. A tracker 2. A licensed profesional hunter 3. A reliable Vehicle , 4. Transport to and from the hunting area. 5. Food for the camp staff and hunters. 6. Accomadation for all.....and plenty more..... all this aint cheap ... we are US$ 400.00 per day +++ minimum 7 days..... that is without your trophy animals..... A good 10 day Safari is going to cost you US$10k with good animals and solid memories.....send me a PM and I will tell you how to do this cheaper, I may even have a few options for you........

If you intend on trying to encourage the membership on here to book with you, I suggest you pay the going rate of £10 a month to become a trade member.
Good value for money and a darn sight cheaper than placing an advert in the SCI magazine ;)

Sorry to be pedantic gents....... but we are talking here about "hunts" NOT "safaris". "Safari" is a Kiswahili word which means journey - like many such words when put in context it means very much more than that - but here we are talking of hunts - no journey is ever involved in such a hunt.

The old-time/Ruark/Harry Selby/Roosvelt inspiration for safari hunting is almost gone. It is no longer possible (for a tourist hunter) to roll up at the game office, buy his license and take off into the bundu for a few months. (I was born in the wrong century!)

I should confess to having done just this a number of times - but as a resident, not a tourist. Even then this is a very difficult, very expensive operation and requires you to be possessed of many disparate talents from doctor (for the malaria) to cook to mechanic (you can't phone the AA). Even as a resident it also costs (yes thousands) and has no certainty of outcome. In retrospect it was a blast though.......... Anyone with aspiratons in this direction should get a copy of Terry Cacek's book "Solo Safari" from Safari Press - a cracking read.

I can only echo the sentiments of all of those above - there is no such thing as a "cheap" safari - it is difficult - therefore it costs.

Royalstag,
Your OP asked about Big Game Safaris, so I assume you mean the dangerous stuff - the ones that can kill you. Hunting Dangerous Game is expensive, there ain't no such thing as cheap DG, just a little less expensive.
I can recommend Steve Robinson of Kuduland Safaris (http://www.kuduland.com) - been hunting Big Game with him three times and my fourth will be in September. At the very least, drop him an email and get some answers. I can assure you he knows everyone in the business and who, what, when and where to avoid.
Your first task is, however, as has been said, to decide what you want to shoot. That will help you narrow it down a little. Then talk to Agents/Safari Companies/WHY.
If you feel that I could be of help, shoot me a pm.
Peter

Back