Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sika Call

Sika Call

Can anyone help ive just purchased the sceery sika call ( special Elk call ) when i try to use it the sound that comes out sounds just like a duck can someone tell me how to use it and what sounds it ment to make thanks ! oh and can anyone recomend another call that imitates the stags whistle ?

375 mag

You could try a widgeon whistle - the tin disc type might work. But sika are wily little blighters and are as likely to be alarmed as attracted. Remember the more noise you make the less you can hear.

Ian

You have to squeeze the end you blow into tight with your fingers. With a bit of practise you will be able to squeeze it to get the right note on the first blow. The call you seems to be well regarded in terms of making sika calls. Take a look on youtube and search on sika and that will give you a good idea on the type of noise you are trying to replicate. I've found that near enough can be close enough for them but that they often come in rather cautiously so it isn't as simple as calling and waiting to shoot a big stag that will run up to you. I have also found that they often like to try and get your wind when coming in and so will take a considerable detour to come in with the wind in their favour, again they aren't stupid and calling them doesn't mean you'll shoot every big stag in the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    You have to squeeze the end you blow into tight with your fingers. With a bit of practise you will be able to squeeze it to get the right note on the first blow. The call you seems to be well regarded in terms of making sika calls. Take a look on youtube and search on sika and that will give you a good idea on the type of noise you are trying to replicate. I've found that near enough can be close enough for them but that they often come in rather cautiously so it isn't as simple as calling and waiting to shoot a big stag that will run up to you. I have also found that they often like to try and get your wind when coming in and so will take a considerable detour to come in with the wind in their favour, again they aren't stupid and calling them doesn't mean you'll shoot every big stag in the forest.
    +1 ..... Takes a bit of practice but last year I was with some FC guys on the Sika in September and boy can they call them in!. I shot two sika staggies. The guys use both the sceery call and the Hoochie Mama which I have since bought. At close range the sceery can sometimes sound ridiculous (I laughed a good few times before I realised it was actually working!). I have been told stories of the Sika actually charging at them and coming around them like caorach says, but the ones we spotted seemed to come forwards at a slow pace with head raised stamping their front feet as if aware of something, but not quite sure. My first was called from about 100+yds to just over 40yds using the sceery. For the second one, the guide I was with blew the sceery at full pelt as we walked along a brackeny gorge back towards the vehicle some 200yds away, within 2 minutes there was a young stag peering at us from 40yds away from underneath the canopy on the other side of the gorge. It will take practice, but lots of fun trying, and very exciting when it works!!
    Timney

Well thanks for your advice lads i still can't seem to get the right note, ive even purchased two more calls from bushwear but still struggling to hit the right note that sounds like a Sika stag ill keep trying got a while to go yet !!!

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    Well thanks for your advice lads i still can't seem to get the right note, ive even purchased two more calls from bushwear but still struggling to hit the right note that sounds like a Sika stag ill keep trying got a while to go yet !!!
    As said earlier, you need to pinch the end bit but I do this with my teeth as I blow. (steady boys!!!)

You also have to remember that the pitch you are hearing when blowing is far removed from what you will hear standing 100yds away. A bit like the real thing to be honest. A whistle at distance but more like a scream when very close!!! Scares the s**t out of you at times!!!

I use this call

Buttolo reed deer call from bushwear, its very effective on the stags, you can adjust the pitch on the call creating a loud whistle right down to the growl that you hear when your very close to the stag, 2nd what jamross has said.

Some stags will come running in like a train while ive also found they sneak right in behind you without ever calling back. Its very exciting when their responding to and coming into the call.

wicklow202

Hi wicklow202

Thats one of the calls i purchased and to be fare i have got the closest to the right sound with this one if blown very hard is that the way you get the right sound otherwise it just sounds like a roe doe im interested in calling the Sika as ive being quite successfull calling Red stags Roe Bucks and Fallow to date !

I can not wait until tomorrow night mate and see what you have bought us.

I have a recording on my phone I can dig off if send me your email via pm