Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 270 winchester loads

270 winchester loads

hi guys what are you all using in your 270 rifles.

i got a stainless m695 coming next week and all being well will have my ticket back to go and pick up from local rfd.

so what are all you guys using in your reloads

powder wise ? i was thinking vit 160 or reloader 22
    primers ? magnum primers ?
    bullets ?

ive used magnum primers in the past but have settled on normal large rifle, i did use reloader 22 for about 15 yrs but struggled to get any so am currently using Vitavouri
    as to bullets , experiment find out what your rifle likes mine doesnt like 100'S probable something to do with the twist rate itas fine with 130's or 150's but i tend to use 130's more cause they are a bit flatter,although when i go to africa i use 150's and some 156gr round nose i found in a shop yrs ago for the extra hitting power
    You can actually reload the 150's to the exact same spec as a 6.5 x 55 in fact you can probably copy the ballistics of a lot of the more in fashionable rounds BUT CAN THEY COPY THE .270 all those yanks cant be wrong!!!
    can of worms opened , over to you boys!!!!

Below is a picture of a couple of loads I have used in my Carl Gustaf .270 for many years.
    I never use magnum primers in this calibre.

1. 52gr Viht. N160, 130gr Speer SPBT, Federal Match Primer 210GM, Norma brass.
    2. 52gr Viht. N160, 140gr Hornady SPBT, Remington nine-and-a-half primer, Norma brass.
    HWH.

my loads are very simlar to stags ,

im using 53gn N160 , 130gn siearra gameking SPBT norma brass and CCI 200 LR primers producing an average 2950 fps and clover leafs .

and ive just developed a load for barnes tsx (non tipped) 56gn H4831sc , 140gn barnes tsx same primers and brass producing 2860 ish fps and clovers too !

but funnily enough my rifle hates 150gn bullets and i struggle to buy a group !

ive found at these reduced speeds , bullet damage and brusing is practicly non existant even on muntjac .

technicly im shooting an over sized 6.5 but ive got the bonus of stokeing up the load to over 3000fps if i wish , depending where i am and what im shooting (but cause alot of carcass damage)!.

factory ammunition for the 270 i personally think is a little brutal , but for the home loader the world is at your feet .

so use this information wisely and get developing your loads , ive found it one of the most versitle rounds to load for !
    Last edited by leec6.5; 25-06-2011 at 09:35.

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

wow that is great cheers lads. sounds like a ideal calibre for everything. i have a ase compact and s&b 6x42 coming for it off a friend.

they only thing im a little woriied about is testing loads with such a thick crosshair and low mag. guess i could do some load testing with my zeiss and then when sorted put the little s&b back on it

Quote Originally Posted by jay 22 View Post
    wow that is great cheers lads. sounds like a ideal calibre for everything. i have a ase compact and s&b 6x42 coming for it off a friend.

they only thing im a little woriied about is testing loads with such a thick crosshair and low mag. guess i could do some load testing with my zeiss and then when sorted put the little s&b back on it
    i wouldnt bother , ive done all my load development with a 8x56 S&B and before that i used a 7x50 meopta !

you can see perfectly well with a 6x42 , tust me !

save your self the hassle and just use it

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Target for low power scopes.

Jamie,

60gns of H4831, CCI250 magnum large rifle primer, topped with almost any 130gn bullet - I use Hornady Interlocks for day-to-day use and Speer Grand Slams for best. I have found that using magnum primers greatly reduces speed variation between rounds. That combination has served me well in the UK, Scandinavia and Africa, although is a tad brutal for small deer at close range.

Don't rush to buy bullets, as I've got piles of them here for you to experiment with.

A.

60gr of Hodgdons H4831 is shown as a MAXIMUM load in my Hodgdon booklet and coupled with a magnum primer may give you excess breech pressure.
    Beware !
    I have loaded thousands of bullets with standard primers for minimum group size in the .270 and never had a problem with unacceptable speed variation. [ That is probably why half-inch groups and better are normal in my Carl Gustaf. ]

HWH