It`s a crying shame.

basil

Distinguished Member
I`ve heard of shoots saying, "Shoot a hare and your history". "Do this or that and you are gone"
What the hell has gone wrong with society when a land owner says "I want the hares and the deer wiped out" because of a minority of our society.
I`m all for one for the pot when the time is right.
Where does it end?
basil.

Your O.P is not clear. Is this about landowners cleaning out animals to stop the midnight dog men or do you object to your shooting host putting conditions on a shooting invite/shooting let?

Your O.P is not clear. Is this about landowners cleaning out animals to stop the midnight dog men or do you object to your shooting host putting conditions on a shooting invite/shooting let?

I think he's refering to the fact that his landowner is probably at his wits end because of regular visits from "Nomads" with hounds and light fingers, so wants the temptation for them removed.

thats a bit like saying I am going to chuck my widescreen telly away in case someone nicks it!

I believe the statement of George the V was that we don't own the game, we hold it is trust for our future generations.

The midnight dog men, the drive by shooters and any other thieving barsteward.

thats a bit like saying I am going to chuck my widescreen telly away in case someone nicks it!

I believe the statement of George the V was that we don't own the game, we hold it is trust for our future generations.

But maybe if you'd had 6 or 7 tellys pinched you might start thinking about maybe not getting another. I'm not saying the farmer is doing the right thing, just that if his land keeps getting hit I understand why he might be getting a bit desparate.

The police are rather reluctant to try to prosecute someone with a dodgy van, dodgy I.D and of no fixed abode so what are you meant to do if the scum find your land attractive for their amoral pastimes and threaten your family if you try to stop them.

Years ago I was hidden away practicing the black art and watched a bloke walking across the fields coursing hares and throwing away his beer cans , his dogs had killed several hares as he moved along , he was throwing the hares away ,
When the dogs were in front of me and a long way off with a safe back stop etc a##e hole features was still in the next field, I could have easly hmm the dogs and he would have not been the wiser ,
But I didnt ,
I had permission to be there
The farmer was aways having trouble with groups coursing across his land
The police would come after a while two young lads usually
The potential harm to the old farming couple
The way we are brought up and the way society is we turn the other cheek

We have hare drives in feb now instead of the waterloo cup...........reduces the numbers to a level the dog men dont bother so much now
hell of a lot of rabbits about this year but starting to see they have been mixing their toasties so that'll reduce them soon enough.

Back