It just goes to show

wadashot

I have just come back from a night away at the caravan above Driffield with the family.

On the last occasion there, my daughter went for a pony treck at a pony center near Bridlington and whilst she enjoyed herself there me the wife and the dog went for a look see down through a woodland which lead to a cracking view of cereal crop and potatoe fields surrounded by woodland. I made a comment to the wife that this place is a dead cert to wait to see deer of an evening,and we will make time to check it out the next time we are up.

Now, back to the present time, we dropped the daughter of for her pony treck again and headed out to the same spot but coming into it from further round the top. As we came out from the wood into the edge of the field i instantly noticed what to me was a couple of hares so i didn`t give them a second look. These "hares", 3 of em were about 200 yards down the potatoe field just on the edge of a little spinney, but like i said they were nothing special as they were only hares. Well, my wife said, when one of them moved "it didn`t seem to move like a hare" and "they look big for hares" well i took another look at them, baring in mind that i didn`t have the bins on me, and on closer examination i could just about make out a creamy coloured rump, but with them being so small i still thought they were hares. Well, 10 seconds later all three deer walked into the woods :eek: , so what went wrong, i have a good sense of range, i have shot enough deer to know what they look like at ranges, and the potatoe plants were only 18" high.
This gave me a bit of a surprise because my wife seemed to be on the ball before me :eek:
I think the moral of this story is, you are never too old to learn, especially from the wife who has probably only seem about 6 roe deer in her life :eek:

A shocked wadas :eek:

Good stuff Wadas, good that you have final seen deer around the caravan I know you were hoping to see them and there had been signs,
I have the same with the wife and kids but they go out of there way to try and spot deer before me usually when we are driving and I get, did you not see them meant to be a stalker,
Its all good crack and look forward to seeing you in 4 weeks
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Smithy

Now then wadas lad take heart, you have lost nothing in your distance gauging and perception etc, it was just you believing you. You said it right at the start "i instantly noticed what to me was a couple of hares so i didn't give them a second look" You put them out of your head and your good lady continued to study them intently.

You can tell her with complete confidence that you were a victim of a sub-conscious optical illusion, compounded by the fact that your brain had already dismissed them as deer. This was clearly borne out by the fact that when your attention was drawn to them a second time and you were able to concentrate anew you did confirm the that they were Roe Deer, replacing your initial hasty hare assumption.

Tell her that or admit that she was right :eek: :eek: or worse yet, you were wrong :eek: :eek: :eek:

John

Wadas, don't bother with the opticians. I have an old pair of glasses I can send you if you pay for the p+p.

Best take your wife out with you when you go stalking from now on. :lol:

hares in field

Bloody hell wadas your hares must have big EARS cant imagine body weight to carry across a ploughed field glad our are not that big would need a tractor and trailer for hare drives . Any way hope you are well see you the weekend , if you want any yorkshire tea you will have to bring your own we only have tetly MUDDY

caravan

hey wadas,
next time you are at your caravan give me a shout and come for some stalking, i am just south of the humber.

steve

Hey Wada's YOU SHOULD HAVE GONE TO SPECSAVERS. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope your eyesight improves before you start looking for Japs in Scotland with me in about 4 weeks time :D I could always ask Smithy to tag along and point you in the right direction :lol:

Looking forward to it mate, not long now :D

Wadas, you were very fortunate for what you saw were the local indigenous subspecies of the Roe Deer, Capreolus capreolus woldsii minoris.

A remnant population from the last ice age, when many animals evolved smaller body sizes to cope with the increasingly cold climate, still lives in remote corners of Yorkshire and , rumour has it, Lincolnshire.

These 'pygmy' Roe have survived for generations in their last refuge of the high peaks and scree slopes of the Wolds. Rarely coming down onto the lower meadows to feed and then nearly always at night. In fact these agile and extremely elusive deer have been called the British Chamois and are, of course, a highly prized trophy.

JAYB said:
Now then wadas lad take heart, you have lost nothing in your distance gauging and perception etc, it was just you believing you. You said it right at the start "i instantly noticed what to me was a couple of hares so i didn't give them a second look" You put them out of your head and your good lady continued to study them intently.

You can tell her with complete confidence that you were a victim of a sub-conscious optical illusion, compounded by the fact that your brain had already dismissed them as deer. This was clearly borne out by the fact that when your attention was drawn to them a second time and you were able to concentrate anew you did confirm the that they were Roe Deer, replacing your initial hasty hare assumption.

Tell her that or admit that she was right :eek: :eek: or worse yet, you were wrong :eek: :eek: :eek:

John

This is very interesting but complete and utter boll**xs.
Like the rest of us Wadas, you're getting old me old mate, simple as that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

mudman said:
Wadas, you were very fortunate for what you saw were the local indigenous subspecies of the Roe Deer, Capreolus capreolus woldsii minoris.

I've heard of those - are they the ones that shed their ears once a year?

bara brith

Snowstorm,
You are dead on. they are also closely related to a small population of Bara Brith, found in snowdonia.

hi wadas dont you think a good pair of bino s would be cheaper than a wife tho to take stalking to spot deer. :lol:

Well, i think i got away with that pretty well under the circumstances :eek: :lol:

Well i did turn 40 last week, so thats me finished, it`s all down hill from now on, the loss of my sight, the loss of hearing,
I said, "AND THE LOSS OF HEEEAAARING" :lol: .

It dosen`t look like i have much option, the wife will have to come stalking and spot deer for me :eek: on second thoughts, I will go to specsavers Malcom. :lol:

wadas

a wadas hope you are well apart from the eye sight going :lol: ,perhaps your wife should start going out stalking with fester (steyr243) because he cant seem to find any deer when we go out :lol: .then again i dont think she would be safe out with him :lol: :lol: .

What really worries me is that a lot of these "accomplished" super spotters will be up here in a week or three. Luckily for you wadas I have just the thing, a fine a pair of Eastern European 20X60 bins that I got when the wall came down. You can have a shot of those, but I'm not carrying the bloody things :D

John

JAYB
These pair of Eastern Europeans You have with you mate :!: Whats there names & can i have a go on them :D 20 x 60 :confused: God them pair are a wierd shape but hell to it i like Eastern Europeans :eek: :D :D
Wadas
Well mate what can i say :rolleyes: Its gotta be your age me old codger :D
Dont worry tho buddy at least you see something :D More than me & andy did last weekend when we went out :evil: Not a sign of life anywhere mate :rolleyes:
Nick (Fester) :D

Nick,

your even weirder than first thought :eek: :eek: I don't know her name it is something unpronounceable in Russian, I usually just call her Volga, and she is. When I got her she had a very nice Yak skin jacket would you believe, very smart for those cold winter days. Sadly however she has no desire for you to get your hands upon her :eek: :eek: , even though you have a sort of Taras Bulba type haircut. Apparently he was someone that Yul Brinner played in a film :lol: Seems she has been talking to somebody called Phil who said it was best to keep clear of you :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

On the other hand she is quite looking forward to letting wadas have a fondle :eek: she can help with his eye problem or make him blind not sure which :D :D

Women eh :confused:

John

Back