Thread: 50 x scope reccomendations

50 x scope reccomendations

I am in possession of a second hand set up with a bushnell scope, an was thinking of upgrading to a higher magnification. I have 300 ish now, any thoughts when I go to game fair or Lowther. What are the Viper/Redfield Meopta like for example?

Ta

If you are looking for a budget scope have a look at the MTC range, I bought the Mamba 4-16 X 50 with varmint(christmas tree) reticle for the 223, well impressed for 200.

are you looking for x 50 or 50 x as there is much difference.
    regards john

Thanks for the replies gents, I have heard good things about the MTC viper, also redfield, but always good to hear from lads who do the biz.

Yorkshire stalking - novice on all things to be fair, but had in mind 3x9x50 or as above 4X16X50 type scopes. Mainly woodland, with ability to be used in open if needed.

Cheers again

in my opinion you are better spending the money on a german 8x50 or 56.

marrajack

The advice given to me when I was buying my first rifle was to spend more on the scope than the rifle. I heeded that advice and still follow that approach today. Good glass (S&B, Zeiss, Swarovski) pays dividends in my opinion.

Good luck. JCS

I paid 250 for my 2nd hand 8X56 S&B, I could probably sell it for more than that today so you will probably pay a little more. However, in terms of value it can't be beaten and it gives a lot of confidence knowing that I am stalking with the best glass for the job.

Take a look at Macleods of Tain web site and see if they have anything second hand as I would suggest buying nothing less than top notch European glass as you will never regret it and you will probably get back more than what you paid for it over time. I've shot deer from 20 -220 yards with my scope and I've never wanted for more or less magnification. Would I like a new variable? Yes. Do I need a variable for my deer stalking? No.

Quote Originally Posted by callie View Post
    If you are looking for a budget scope have a look at the MTC range, I bought the Mamba 4-16 X 50 with varmint(christmas tree) reticle for the 223, well impressed for 200.
    Crap in low light, poor colour rendering.
    Meopta 7x50 are good, prices have risen though.

Cheers again lads, not in a big rush so will keep options open, and look at 2nd hand as well