Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7mm 08

7mm 08

Hi All,

I am thinking of putting some money down on a rifle in 7mm 08, but have a few questions about the calibre:

1. How readily available is factory ammo?

2.Is the calibre suitable for wild boar?

3.What brass do people use to reload? Do lapua make any? or do you neck up or down from .243 or .308?

4. What loads do you use for deer?

5. How accurate is the round and does it delivery more down range power than a .308?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts

Many Thanks Matt

factory ammo availible from federal,remington,hornady,privi,there the ones i,ve used,think norma do a ballistic tip 140grain,mines passed for wild boar but never used it on one yet,most of the deer loads i,ve used are 140grain,remington and federal do a 120grain,hornady 139 grain,i,ve tried them all and settled on the hornady sst and gmx and federal fusion,would,nt say its anymore accurate than a .308 but it shoots flatter and faster than the same weight 308 and hits hard.ps i know were,s there,s a nice xbolt,regards jim

I've used a 7mm-08 for a couple years now. It's taken everything from muntjac to red stags without a problem. Factory ammunition is getting more available, usually Federal Fusion 140 g soft points....which is what I use generally. I had a few rounds custom loaded for me using Federal fire formed brass, but would probably use Norma if/when I get into home loading. Don't think Lapua do 7mm-08 cases, so you'd have to work from .243 or .308. I believe its OK for boar. Energy retention is good, but others will be able to give you more details.

Nosler now do custom cases for the 7mm-08.

I've had one a sako 75 original and it was super accurate and did the job fine with 140's.

I'm now having one built in AI format on a 75 stainless action and it will be my only stalking rifle as it will cover everything i need it to.

Steve

No worries on Boar...140gn Accubonds/150 Partitions or Federal 150 gn Powershok... They all work! Norma brass has been ok, but I do have concerns obaout the primer pockets going loose. nosler brass ought to be ok too, if you can find any!

Good Luck with it !

thought i would edit your quote

Quote Originally Posted by 09mutley05 View Post
    Hi All,

I am thinking of putting some money down on a rifle in 7mm 08, but have a few questions about the calibre:

- Dont know, i reload..

- Dont know, not shot boar... yet!

3.What brass do people use to reload? Do lapua make any? or do you neck up or down from .243 or .308?
    I use nosler custom brass, well worth the money and i have also tried necking up .243 without problems..

140gn Berger VLDs, also tries SSTs (lots of meat damage..)

5. How accurate is the round and does it delivery more down range power than a .308?
    I imagine that scientifically they are both as accurate however the 7-08 is a lot softer shooting so its nicer to shoot.
    Better BC and higher speeds for same weight bullet means its pretty much the same, again for less recoil, less drop and less windage..

- your welcome..

Many Thanks Matt

You sure you don't want a 7x64 for the ability to shoot heavier loads...

Hi All,

Many Thanks Matt
    Got one here Matt its not for sale sa its my main stalking set up,come across if you like you are more than welcome to shoot it and answer many of your own questions and yes it is boar legal.
    I personally reload nosler custom brass and have no issues obtaining it.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

Hi All,

Many Thanks Matt
    1. In any good gun shop. If they havent got it they can easily get it all you need to do is ask. Ranges from 60p a round (NNY) to well I'd imagine well over 2 if you wanted to.
    2. Yes (works and is also legal which I suspect was your point?)
    3. Remington (I was given it) and NNY (I bought it as rounds)
    4. 120gn sierra prohunter over 41gn varget (worked up etc) gives about 2800 apparently but not tested. Works though.
    5.(a) More accurate than me I reckon, and (b) Dont know

Hope this helps, Tom
    Last edited by devonoak; 28-06-2011 at 19:46. Reason: legal and more ammo info.

seams a superb round from what i have been reading on it.