My new free standing 2/3 man wooden highseat.

270Buck

Hi,

I thought I would share with you my new high seat.

With 4 hours of sweat in the humidity of yesterday afternoon/evening myself and a good mate Will (whom I met off the SD) built the seat.

This is courtesy of Stone's design with a few minor modifications.

Wooden Free Stander 001.jpg

Wooden Free Stander 002.jpg

This will fold up and can be transported to the chosen location.

It will sit 2 large lads with winter clothing on, or myself and my twin girls when they want to come and sit in the woods with Dad.

Total cost was £130 for timber and fixings.

I have promised Will he will shoot the first deer from the seat for all his hard work and supplying the tools to make the job a lot easier, just need to get it in location and see some deer!!!

Cheers

Ross

Last edited:
well built mate. I made one pretty much just like it, got the timber from homebase and used a few fixtures from the shed, so total cost was only around £40. I can recommend some 'arms' with a panel across to support the front end of the rifle, otherwise the first ledge will be very close to your body, and you'll be shooting almost freehand.

edit: also recommend a seat panel and a lower slightly wider back rest panel.

all in all, just 10 mins more work, and a lot more comfort :)

well built mate. I made one pretty much just like it, got the timber from homebase and used a few fixtures from the shed, so total cost was only around £40. I can recommend some 'arms' with a panel across to support the front end of the rifle, otherwise the first ledge will be very close to your body, and you'll be shooting almost freehand.

edit: also recommend a seat panel and a lower slightly wider back rest panel.

all in all, just 10 mins more work, and a lot more comfort :)

I wish my timber was as cheap round here and I got mine from a trade counter, home delivered for £117!!

I used the following materials

4 of 47x150mm x 4.8m. This was used as the main frame the "X"
3 of 47x100mm x 4.8m. This was used for the steps/rungs of the ladder
3 of 47x75mm x 4.8m. This was used for the shooting rails and the slider and diagonal support rail.
2 x M12 x 130 coach bolts.
45 x Timberlok screws.

Although I was supplied with some plans there were no real measurements to follow so I adjusted as necessary as the build went on.

Sorry forgot to point out the seat panel is not on there yet, need to get some 12x2 to finish it. I will also be putting a back rest on so you will be able to sit in it for hours at a time comfortably. My Mrs joked last night and asked where the fridge and TV is going to go!!!

The horizontal rail at the top is the shooting rail and is the ideal height for a shot. I am going to cover it in pipe lagging and cable tie on so not to damage the stock of your rifle.

Cheers

Ross

Tidy job that Ross, when my extended global tour with work comes to an end I will be building the same so that parts list was perfect cheers mate.

Leon

Hey Ross
not bad for a few hours work, don't forget your ground spikes to secure it to the floor when you put it in place
and I think you may of put your seat supports on the wrong side of the timbers if you intend to fold it up completely
but looking OK
just give us a shout when you are looking to erect it in the final place, as if I am about I'll be happy to nip across and give you a hand
ATB

Hi,

I thought I would share with you my new high seat.

With 4 hours of sweat in the humidity of yesterday afternoon/evening myself and a good mate Will (whom I met off the SD) built the seat.

This is courtesy of Stone's design with a few minor modifications.

View attachment 7714

View attachment 7715

This will fold up and can be transported to the chosen location.

It will sit 2 large lads with winter clothing on, or myself and my twin girls when they want to come and sit in the woods with Dad.

Total cost was £130 for timber and fixings.

I have promised Will he will shoot the first deer from the seat for all his hard work and supplying the tools to make the job a lot easier, just need to get it in location and see some deer!!!

Cheers

Ross

Ross £130 you've been robbed (tell me it wasnt travis prekins there the most expensive ive found in the uk) you've got approx 40 meters of timber thats being genorous for the sizes you have i get form 0.55 to 0.69 pence per meter i can buy all your materials for under £50.

Very nice seat all the same nice bit of work .

Last edited:
Ross £130 you've been robbed (tell me it wasnt travis prekins there the most expensive ive found in the uk) you've got approx 40 meters of timber thats being genorous for the sizes you have i get form 0.55 to 0.69 pence per meter i can buy all your materials for under £50.

Very nice seat all the same nice bit of work .

It was Travis Perkins I am afraid!!! I feel like a mug if that's what I could have potentially got the timber for!!!

I have been given the name of another timber supplier in the area, that can also offer deliver and would be a lot cheaper I have been told.

Now I have made this one, I feel a few more coming on especially if I can get the materials for a lot cheaper!! Should have rang round for quotes before buying off the one that offered same day delivery. Bearing in mind it is only 1 mile from my house that is the least they could do!!!

Cheers

Ross

Hey Ross
not bad for a few hours work, don't forget your ground spikes to secure it to the floor when you put it in place
and I think you may of put your seat supports on the wrong side of the timbers if you intend to fold it up completely
but looking OK
just give us a shout when you are looking to erect it in the final place, as if I am about I'll be happy to nip across and give you a hand
ATB

I have the offcuts to use as the ground spikes as suggested. I will move the seat supports, I hadn't followed your instructions to the tee then?!?!? I would imagine it will fold up almost all the way anyway so probably won't matter too much as the trailer we will be using is plenty big enough.

Looks like it will be Tuesday 12th July that I will move the seat into position. I will give you a call a couple of days before to confirm.

Cheers

Ross

Nice job Ross, :thumb: Richard ( stone ) gave the same info about these seats a while ago. They seem to be poping up all over, saw them on another forum recently maybe he should have patented them :doh:

I used 6" for the "X" sections, a slap of fence paint and a bit of netting round the top.
Cost £100 for materials for two seats through a mates joinery buisness, he cut the lengths at his place and came over to build them up.

View attachment 7756 View attachment 7757

He is on with with a roofed variant , when he gets it finished i will post some pics up.

Could do with it i look like a spotty tenager again ! i told him about your super dooper mozzie deterant so he might use something along those lines :lol:

Been fortunate enough to get stalking on a long strip of woodland between the house and the other bit, its not very wide but were putting the mk 2 seat at the end overlooking a field where i have permission.
If you fancy demonstrating the mozzie machine come over and we will have a look . DF

Hi Ross, you could have got some pressure treated timber from any sawmill and a lot cheaper.

I have been making my two man seats out of box section for less than £40.00 and only take about two hours to cut and weld together. The tower is taking a bit longer to erect as I have been so busy down on the farm but will hopefully have it completed by the start of the season.

Barry

Hi Ross, you could have got some pressure treated timber from any sawmill and a lot cheaper.

I have been making my two man seats out of box section for less than £40.00 and only take about two hours to cut and weld together. The tower is taking a bit longer to erect as I have been so busy down on the farm but will hopefully have it completed by the start of the season.

Barry

Hi Barry,

I will look forward to sitting your tower in August.

I have been calling round some timber yards and just with a cash can get for £83, my mate has an account there and gets about 50% off so it will not be far off £40 for the next one I build.

Cheers

Ross

Back