Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 120g for Fallow?

120g for Fallow?

Got a stalk booked for later in the year(Buck season). Mainly Fallow in the area so hoping to get a chance on a good size buck or 2. Ill be shooting 6.5 x 55 and just wanted your thoughts on the load. Ive got some 129g SST's loaded up that I used on Roe earlier in the year, cause minimal damage and droppped it very quickly, shoot well vin the rifle but only have about 15 left and want to get some practice on sticks (been hard to get some more of these). Got a box of 120g Nosler soft points that are shooting thumbhole at 100 yards with minimal drop out to 200 yards so quite confident with this load. Obviously hit in the right palce it will drop but just wanted your thoughts/experience? Cheers STEVE

just my personal (not into polmer tips unless Foxing or Park culling) feeling i would use 120gr Nosler soft point each year i shoot to many Fallow (in the wild) to mention using 117gr or 120gr from my .25-06 (yes i know you are using a 6.5x55) and touch wood even with Big Mature (not quallity heads) rutting bucks those weight bullets do the job very well. Good luck Steve and hope you get yourself a Good Buck what ever your choice of weights

I use 129 gr sp interlocks in my .260 for Fallow and Muntjack . I don't load them flat out but they exit well with minimum meat damage.
    I have tried 100 gr sp hornaday they killed all i shot BUT hardly ever exited Fallow so not good for follow up's or so they never gave me much confidence, as they broke up with less than 40% of weight retention up on recovery. But droped Muntjack on the spot !
    I have also used 140 Gr but due to my rifle being very light recoil was more than i wanted.

If you drive them at about 2800 fps , a 120gn bullet will do very nicely in your 6.5x55!

I've used practicly every 6.5 bullet available and have found the barnes tipped TSX a very reliable bullet,
    And the hornady SST a very close second !

The most important thing I've found out is , that if you keep the speed nice and steady with the 120gn'ers theY will do exactly. What's. Required of them with minimal fuss and meat damage !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Steve
    120 Grain soft points out of my 6.5 put things on the floor with minimal damage driven with 46 grains H4350.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

if the ranges are sub 200m's I have found the energy of a 139-140gr are more then adaquate as well as trajectory.
    Slow but sure is always good in my book.
    No meat damage with a reliable S.P.
    If you want speed load the 125 partition as fast as you like and you will not be sorry. Finding these and having the money to buy them is a different matter.
    Good luck, hope you tick another box.
    regards John

Cheers chaps. Ive loaded some up with 39g of Varget to start (quoting 2800 ft/sec in the book). Will check the drop and accuracy at 200 yards this Saturday at the range, will go hotter if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    If you drive them at about 2800 fps , a 120gn bullet will do very nicely in your 6.5x55!

I've used practicly every 6.5 bullet available and have found the barnes tipped TSX a very reliable bullet,
    And the hornady SST a very close second !

The most important thing I've found out is , that if you keep the speed nice and steady with the 120gn'ers theY will do exactly. What's. Required of them with minimal fuss and meat damage !
    I do like the SST's, need to try and get some more of them. Local palce was struggling to get them. Exited well and made very little damage

Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking. View Post
    if the ranges are sub 200m's I have found the energy of a 139-140gr are more then adaquate as well as trajectory.
    Slow but sure is always good in my book.
    No meat damage with a reliable S.P.
    If you want speed load the 125 partition as fast as you like and you will not be sorry. Finding these and having the money to buy them is a different matter.
    Good luck, hope you tick another box.
    regards John
    Thanks John, hopefully will get one. Managed to get a stalk a bit more local to me. Once I get a bit more time Ill defo book with you again. Cheers Steve

if you want to borrow some 129 SST's I have some
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY