Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frozen haunch to steaks

Frozen haunch to steaks

I have a couple of frozen haunches in the freezer that I would like to convert to steaks for the BBQ (to take away in the caravan this weekend) but am not sure if thawing-cutting and then re freezing is a good idea.

Are there any food hygene risks assosiated with doing the above? I was just going to get it done but my better half reckons I shouldn't and as my girls are partial to a bit of venison I thought I'd get some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

I would take them frozen and thaw when you are there.
    Also i would never advise thawing and refreezeing raw meat. If you are going to have some left over why not treat some fellow campers to what they may not have tried before?
    Don`t forget your `erbs.
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Thanks Basil.

Bugger, does that mean the wife was right? Shh! Dont tell her or I'll never hear the end of it.
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

I know its probably not approved, but what about cutting with a saw into steaks while frozen...? We used to do it with salmon on a band saw.. seemed to work fine!

Risk of salmonella or some other such with refreezing take the lot and spread the word

Band saw, you will not be the first

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Thanks guys, Probably just take the lot and be a fat b-----d when I come back.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post

John
    Took the words right out of my mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post

John
    Used to do all the frozen NZ lambs on the bandsaw in the early 80's, shifted lots of it as well. Nowadays I would only use British lamb!

Rather than cutting into steaks, what I've done with Roe haunch is to bone it out and butterfly it so that you have one big steak about two inches thick. Lay the haunch in front of you, split down between the muscle groups to the bone and unroll the meat off.