RCBS v Aldi's calipers

mel

Is it just my failing eyesight or is there a bit of a remarkable similarity between these £90 RCBS calipers and my £10 Aldi pair?

It seems remarkable that the buttons are in the same position and the colurs of the buttons are identical - I presume there isn't an ISO standard for button colours on measuring devices!

Even the two screws on the left hand edge seem remarkably similar! :-|

001.jpg

RCBS_calipers.jpg

What i,m led to believe they are almost all made in the same place, country, area, etc then distributed and re-badged as to company requirements.

Calipers

Hi, I also got a set from from Aldi cost £8.99 made in Germany with 3 year warranty, measures the same as a pal of mines who has a set of Mitutoyo calipers at nearly £150.

mine are good but not great,
posted before on the disparity between them and the analogue verniers I have.
not massive but enough of a difference for the eternally anal bench rest reloader to stay awake at night

for me, £8 is £8!

all the same! just rebranded!!! just like all yout flat screen tv's in the house they are all made in 1.500,000sqft factory that employs 90000 people in china then right at the end is a little china man with a shed load of different stickers.

Ii have to disagree I use these everyday at work we had some really expensive ones same make as mentioned above, they are great but the last lot we got were cheaper ones and they are crap, measure the same piece of steel five times and you get five completely different readings. Then they jump from two mil to eighty mil and you have to keep resetting them. Maybe the aldi ones are better than the crap ones we got

Having bought and used quite a few different digital vernirs & seen others use them, I've noticed that its always the same people who "break" them no matter how expensive they may be. It ain't the quality of the instrument that is at fault it's more likely to be the nut behind the wheel!
Only once did I find a cheap one bad out of the box, and I got that one changed.
At home I have a nice Mitutoyo jobbie and a cheap "no name" special -- Guess which I use most - Yup the cheapo - Why? - Because it handles better and reads just as accurately.
It's a bit like the perpetual argument about Lee & RCBS dies - lots of smoke & mirrors!

Ian

Hi, I also got a set from from Aldi cost £8.99 made in Germany with 3 year warranty, measures the same as a pal of mines who has a set of Mitutoyo calipers at nearly £150.

Due to age and failing eyesight I too use the digital read-out calipers from Aldi.
For re-loading they are entirely fit for purpose.

My precision Mitutoya vernier is now for sale.
It measures up to 12 inches or 300mm and is in fine condition.
I would accept any reasonable offer for it.

HWH.

Mitutoyo all the way surely...:D

mito.jpg

It's a bit like the perpetual argument about Lee & RCBS dies - lots of smoke & mirrors!

I'd have to disagree on that! RCBS are absolutely BETTER reloading dies that are Lee. The ONLY Lee items that I have are their excellent Factory Crimp dies and the yellow "Popeye's pipes" AKA the Lee Powder Measure Scoops.

Ok Mr e-spares please define "better" and how do you physically measure the difference in use? Group size??? Inside leg???? Depth of pocket & bragging rights?????

p.s. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Ian

So why are mechanical grenades being thrown at the perceived "better" digital product?

We all know :)

Stan

Close, this daft thing is 600mm and has pretty chunky jaws. I have a similar height gauge as well, and like yourself I feel they are underused and I ought to get round to flogging them. :)

Since I posted this I have done a deal and mine has gone to a new home !

HWH.

Back