Thread: Cleaning moderators

Cleaning moderators

When it gets to the point when you finally decide to clean the moderator and find that you can't unscrew it, just soak it in meths until it frees up. This rimfire mod took 48 hours of soaking and a bit of easing in the vice twice a day to get it to come apart.

Obviously a better tip would be to clean the bloody thing more regularly!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dirty_Mod.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	7762

And lube the threads, when you put it all back together!!!!
    Grampian Guns (RFD)
    Independant Moderator / Supressor Suppliers
    ..........for those who like a quiet life !
    Our mission.......Customer satisfaction......plain and simple.

In my view the best advice is to remove it every time before storage. All of that gunk and gas is not good for your beloved rifle, even if you're not adverse to dragging it through the shrubbery to get after deer.

SD Regular
    Forgive me for sounding a bit green but ive never taken either of my mods to bits ,i just soak them in wd40 and leave to drain , have i got it wrong ?
    BE PREPARED IT WASNT RAINING WHEN THEY BUILT THE ARC

put a few rounds through your center fire then take off your mod and sniff it , the smell is amonia that will condense in your mod and turn into nitric acid , this will rot out a mod from inside and can damage your bore . After use remove your mod and blow through it to remove vapours , apply WD40 to your mod from time to time and copper slip your rifles threads

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    When it gets to the point when you finally decide to clean the moderator and find that you can't unscrew it, just soak it in meths until it frees up. This rimfire mod took 48 hours of soaking and a bit of easing in the vice twice a day to get it to come apart.

Obviously a better tip would be to clean the bloody thing more regularly!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dirty_Mod.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	7762
    Is that a Wildcat Cub, all delrin ?
    I have had one for years, rarely clean it but I find two of those rubber strap wrenches (Boa ?) always do the job without marking it.
    That or screw it on the Hornet and have a couple of shots, that cleans it out nicely

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Is that a Wildcat Cub, all delrin ?
    certainly is a Cub.

I always remove all my mods from the rifles after firing I just don't clean them eveytime. I was shown the crowns from chopped off barrel ends that had been eaten away because the mods were left on.

The threads weren't the problem in this case it was just the amount of crud that had stuck to the baffle stack and the case wall which was solid, once I got it open I had to use a screw driver to chip a lot more of it off. Since then I now have a water tight tuperware that acts as a mini meths dip tank and the mod gets unscrewed and chucked in there overnight on a regular basis.

I always remove it after shooting, but it doesn't take much for the inner to seize in the case, especially .22 subs.
    The two strap wrench method always gets it apart though, followed by a trip through a dishwasher.

Neil.