Why do they leave one or two trees standing when they fell a block of forestry?

Hodmedod.one

There always seem to be a couple left standing in an otherwise completely felled block of spruce.

They are not deciduous/dead/contain a nest so can anyone please tell me why?

The feller leave a tree every thousand he lifts that way he knows how many to claim for at the end of his contract he just gose and counts the ones left x buy a thousand and he has his number. now is that the truth or is that just BS :rofl:

Its Rapptor posts they are verey effective at removing voles. They can be quite soar on new tree.s

There always seem to be a couple left standing in an otherwise completely felled block of spruce.

They are not deciduous/dead/contain a nest so can anyone please tell me why?

Its because under sustainable forest certification requirements, there is a need to leave a certain quantity of fallen and standing deadwood for insects, raptors, wood peckers and other cuddly things. It can look very ugly or done in the right way in the right place. So says my forester mrs who knows about these things.

Thanks for the replies gents.

Jason- thanks for telling me where the bucks are hiding cos I'm buggered if I could find them on my last 3 outings!:rolleyes:

To form a perch for birds of prey to feed from animals etc that are injurous to woodland growth.

For the forrester to lean against while he waits for his new planting to grow. However, the proper answer is interesting.

It's not only for birds of prey, woodpeckers and the like.
These trees are called retention trees, retention trees provide species diversity and structural diversity.Of which around you may notice different stages of growth young trees, seedling stands and older trees further back.
Retention trees are important towards the future, as when the seedling stand is planted and growing, these retention trees will have already started to die, the deadwood is very important due to creating habitat, shelter and food for different organisms. Bio-diversity is the main reason for leaving these trees behind.
Leaving retention trees also helps maintain the landscape values of the area. Of which landscape and bio-diversity are very important parts of forest management today.

Roe

It's not only for birds of prey, woodpeckers and the like.
These trees are called retention trees, retention trees provide species diversity and structural diversity.Of which around you may notice different stages of growth young trees, seedling stands and older trees further back.
Retention trees are important towards the future, as when the seedling stand is planted and growing, these retention trees will have already started to die, the deadwood is very important due to creating habitat, shelter and food for different organisms. Bio-diversity is the main reason for leaving these trees behind.
Leaving retention trees also helps maintain the landscape values of the area. Of which landscape and bio-diversity are very important parts of forest management today.

Roe

I think that the biodiversity benefits of this practice are very limited if they are not of a reasonable size and interconnected with remaining forest, as species generally need routes and paths through habitats. It's even more questionable when only one or two trees are left. Just did a quick google and found this abstract of an academic paper raising the same questions - ScienceDirect - Forest Ecology and Management : Retention-tree groups in clear-cuts: Do they constitute for spiders and carabids?

The harvesters leave all the trees with stray bullets lodged in them standing.....FC ground full of 'em!

I think they leave them as a height marker, :idea: when the replant reaches that height he knows it's time to fell them again. :lol: :cuckoo:

Rgds, Buck.

Six trees where left standing in a felled compartment up the road from here,reason being an osprey nest,forester was explaining to a mate that ospreys like to nest in solitary trees.... mate asked is that why they nested in the middle of the block???? no answer:lol: needless to say the trees have blown over now...

Back