Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do they leave one or two trees standing when they fell a block of forestry?

Why do they leave one or two trees standing when they fell a block of forestry?

There always seem to be a couple left standing in an otherwise completely felled block of spruce.

They are not deciduous/dead/contain a nest so can anyone please tell me why?

For birds of prey to perch on

I was told they are left for raptors !!

For deer to hide behind

Jason

High seat for when they replant?

The feller leave a tree every thousand he lifts that way he knows how many to claim for at the end of his contract he just gose and counts the ones left x buy a thousand and he has his number. now is that the truth or is that just BS

Its Rapptor posts they are verey effective at removing voles. They can be quite soar on new tree.s

Just in case you get caught short while out stalking.
    GAZ

Quote Originally Posted by Hodmedod.one View Post

There always seem to be a couple left standing in an otherwise completely felled block of spruce.

They are not deciduous/dead/contain a nest so can anyone please tell me why?
    Its because under sustainable forest certification requirements, there is a need to leave a certain quantity of fallen and standing deadwood for insects, raptors, wood peckers and other cuddly things. It can look very ugly or done in the right way in the right place. So says my forester mrs who knows about these things.

They left a small block on one piece I shoot on which looks much better than the odd bare tree

Attachment 7781
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Thanks for the replies gents.

Jason- thanks for telling me where the bucks are hiding cos I'm buggered if I could find them on my last 3 outings!